V-Studio 20 Control Surface Installer for Cakewalk?

Neil McGrail

It still works for Cakewalk and Bandlab. The problem is the drivers. They were produced by Roland Corp. They stopped updating the drivers after Windows 8.1

So if your running Windows 10, there will have to be a work around performed in order to get the drivers to work. A quick search of the old forum will yeild the desired results.

Thanks.  I was able to 'hack' the V-20 drivers to work on Windows 10 with no problem, I am just getting into the full setup process for the DAW and didn't know if running the old driver update would break anything (I am guessing it would)

I read through the reference manual (which is HUGE) and it seems like this should be able to be done manually with the ACT Midi Controller process but I figured the old driver install would be much faster if it actually works.  I am trying to replicate the fader setup where it has 2 groups of 8 faders (group 1 for tracks 1-8, group 2 for tracks 9-16) mapped to track volume.   If anyone has had success with any of the Roland V-Studio gear using the ACT or Generic controller configuration please feel free to chime in. 

p.s. here's a screen shot from the 'old' Cakewalk site for the last driver update. 

image.thumb.png.dc54a26bcd0cfeacaebafae4319c56d2.png

@Neil McGrail Use the control surface section in preferences. It has a drop down list for control surfaces and the VS20 is listed right there.

This surface doesn't use ACT at all so don't even bother with ACT. The WAI strip can be changed (Tracks 1-8 / 9-16 exc) on the surface itself, it has a button for up/down to cycle through track chunks.

Assuming you get the drivers installed, it should work okay. I run a VS-700 with the tweak to the driver installer. So long as the correct ports are set for the right surface in the Control Surfaces tab of the Preferences, it should work, assuming you're not having issues with the MIDI information getting sent to Cakewalk in general.

• Like 2

I can select the VS-20 from the MIDI Devices drop down list (I am not sure what the difference is between VS-20 DAW and VS-20 Effect control unless ot is specific to the built in COSM effects?)

image.png.79da44d889aff65940a8c9b7536f8ffe.png

I can select ports from the Control Surfaces menu but it does not apply or save them.

image.png.bbf34b6e54ab475101511d2b1345c530.png

I have tried the generic control surface with no success either. 

Any ideas?

image.png

image.png

I'm having the same problem with my vs 20 as well. I upgraded my pc a couple of months ago and i cant get the midi control to work now. I have tried changing the aud ini file but that didnt work either. It would be nice to have it working again. 

I am having this problem too. Upgraded my PC to windows 10, the V Studio 20 is working as audio, but under control surface on the drop down menu, I can't see the v studio options at all, I see Mackie controllers etc. I am wondering, if I should install a previous version of Sonar, like X3, and see if then it will appear in the list? or is there a file out there as you can import a script? any help would be appreciated.