mix song (update)

martsave martin s

Moving right along Martin, sounding good.

14 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Is that finger snap supposed to be in there?

Yeah, I think so; it was really loud in the first mix.

Maybe Martin will post the lyrics.

Tom

Edited by DeeringAmps
removed a comment
  • Like 1

Martin,
I see you've already posted the new mix, I often wish OP's would leave the original mix available for comparison.
The snap was intended to emphasize the 2 and 4; IIRC. Kind of like the percussive "scrape" that's a integral part
of Hendrix's cover of Hey Joe, or the constant wood block in All Right Now.
The "snap" was "loud" on the original acoustic mix. I don't think I found it distracting in the electric mix.
I'm sorry I influenced your final decision. This is your song, your production.
I will repeat my request for the lyrics though; With You is about as far as I've gotten.
In French would be fine, perhaps preferred.

Tom

The bottom seems to soft to me.  I have only had my new studio up a few months, so .... I'm not that sure about Freqs yet.  I could recommend MCompare.  It is one of the best purchases I have made in a good while.  You could also set up a multi track song - Put yours on the top track then load 8-10 of your favorite songs in your songs style.  You can mute all then solo yours the the commercial song.  You might want to lower the commercial song by 8-10 db to get a premastered  volume.  It is a good test. 

The bottom sounds too low.  There also doesn't seem to be any sub material.  Don't know if you meant to do this.  Sometimes this is good to help get more volume without distorting.  

Max Arwood

thank you Max,i will experiment on the bass frequencys

do you think that is 'lack' of bass on the master? or on the basse & drum track? or both..

(these days people are not listening on good speakers,they listen to cell,PC speakers ect..)

thank you Max it's appeciate

martin

Edited by martsave martin s

Hey Martin,
Gave a good listen to both versions, I like them both. There was a time when low end was controlled by the stylus.
Too much low end and the needle hopped out of the groove! I'm more interested in defining the kick (usually some
top end boost to get the beater talking) and keeping the mud out of the kick and bass. But at my age, do I need my
teeth rattling? So take my advise there with a grain of salt. I like the "snap", and I was wrong about the 2 & 4, its kind
of on every other 4and; right?
Still looking for those lyrics. My wife listens to the tune, the melody matters, the lyrics not so much.
I've always listened to the story, number 1 because if I covered it, I had to sing it. Number 2, as a songwriter I'm always
interested in how the story is told.
Solo is your Les Paul, neck pickup, maybe the tone rolled off some?
If I'm mixing this, I'd go with the edit+bass, pull that snap down just a tad (keep it subtle), master it up and declare victory!

Tom

Edited by DeeringAmps
correct spelling

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

the melody matters, the lyrics not so much.

if fact ,i have just composed the music,the lyrics & the vox(vocals)are composed from my friend

I'm more interested in defining the kick (usually some
top end boost to get the beater talking) and keeping the mud out of the kick and bass.

right now in this mix all highs-end are cuted off(drastic EQ..cut (for now im happy about 70\100 of the kick "sound"

so i will experiment what you are saying! thanks

Solo is your Les Paul, neck pickup, maybe the tone rolled off some?

it's been a while i record this but i think yes or maybe both pick-up with rool off tone

ps(this distorsion sound came from a VS-1824-roland,(amp-similator)so im "stuck" with this distorsion-sound)...

that's not bad at all..🙂

If I'm mixing this, I'd go with the edit+bass, pull that snap down just a tad (keep it subtle), master it up and declare victory!

thanks Tom,what do you mean by ( pull that snap down just a tad) ?

do you mean some kind of multiband-compressor? on the master?

master it up

right now i have some EQ on the master wich is [m-EQ-melda-production]-[modern-analoger antress] and a limiter [limiter 6]

thank you alot to take your time to listen & coments !!

cheer

martin

Edited by martsave martin s

51 minutes ago, martsave martin s said:

thanks Tom,what do you mean by ( pull that snap down just a tad) ?

That percussive "snap", its a wood block or maybe claves, yeah probably claves?
To my ears its just a little too loud (just a tad; probably doesn't translate well into French, non?)
Pull that fader down, but that's just "to my ears".
The signal chain you have on the Master is probably just fine.
At some point in every project I throw Ozone on the Master Buss and "master" in place so to speak.
And notice the small "m" in the word "master"; I'm not a Mastering Engineer, most here are not!
I'm also not a "first call" mix engineer who is sending mixes out to be professionally Mastered.
Consequently I "small m" master my tracks "in place".
I don't print a mix and then pull that 2-track into a new session to "Master" it. But to each his own!
Your song, your production, its done when you feel its done.

Tom