Sample Rate shows wrong bitrate on startup

Lee D

Question

I've noticed an issue for as long as I can remember.  I set the sample rate to be 48 kHz in preferences, but the sample rate shown in the transport bar shows 44.1 when I open CbB.   I have to go into preferences and click "apply" and then "close" and then the audio engine resets and correctly shows 48 kHz  in the transport bar.   Is this a bug?  Anyone else have this issue? 

6 answers to this question

Yes it is.  But when I open CbB, it changes it to 44.1 kHz.   

I just tried saving a new template and reopening the template, and that fixed the problem.  So I suspect that the issue is that the "Basic" template that comes with stock CbB has a 44.1 kHz sample rate as part of the template. 

Anyway, problem solved!

22 hours ago, Lee D said:

I just tried saving a new template and reopening the template, and that fixed the problem.  So I suspect that the issue is that the "Basic" template that comes with stock CbB has a 44.1 kHz sample rate as part of the template. 

Anyway, problem solved!

Interesting solution. Project sample rate is not stored in project or project template files.

There are two ways the sample rate is set for a project.

If the project does not contain any audio the sample rate is read from the "Sample Rate" in the "Default Sample Rate for New Projects" section in preferences.

If the project contains audio, the sample rate is read from the first audio clip header.

• Thanks 1

When I first installed Cakewalk I chose a simple audio template to open. Next I deleted all tracks and setup my  soundcard(MIDI and audio), Metronome settings, etc. Then I setup the GUI the way I like to work...Track view with all sidebars closed and Master hidden on left monitor, Console View on top monitor, and finally Synth Rack on left monitor. I saved the screenset and named Default, then saved the project as Default. Now I open that project every time I open Cakewalk and do a Save As when I start recording.  No surprises this way!

Bill

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

Interesting solution. Project sample rate is not stored in project or project template files.

There are two ways the sample rate is set for a project.

If the project does not contain any audio the sample rate is read from the "Sample Rate" in the "Default Sample Rate for New Projects" section in preferences.

If the project contains audio, the sample rate is read from the first audio clip header.

Yeah I'm not sure why I was getting that behavior when loading the "Basic" default template.  I definitely had the default sample rate for new projects set at 48kHz.  Anyway, no big deal. . . just something that had me scratching my head.

Templates do not enforce the sample rate. When you create a project from a template it inherits the sample rate set as the default for new projects. (unless you override it in the new project dialog)

I just tested the basic template with my default rate set to 48k and the project properly came up as 48k. 
Is it possible that your audio device is refusing to be set to 48K for some reason? If so it will fallback to 44.1. Some devices only switch through their control panel...

Which driver mode are you using?