Bus Solo Issue with External Insert

Light Grenade

Hi folks,

I mix through a hardware compressor which sits on the master bus. I use the external insert plugin to do this.

On the session I'm working on, I get no sound when I solo a bus, nor does volume automation work on any bus. Upon solo'ing any bus. no sound hits my master fader.

However, solo'ing individual tracks works fine, as does muting busses. I can hear the mix fine when everything is playing, and manual fader movements on busses also work.

All behaviour returns to normal when I bypass the external insert plugin.

Any ideas?

Edited by Light Grenade

19 hours ago, David Baay said:

Ah, okay. That's not great, but I will be able to find a workaround by solo'ing track folders.

Cheers for saving me lots of time fault finding. I was sure it was something to do with my routing.

Glad to help. It sounded familiar though I hadn't encountered it myself for a long time.  As the range and quality of my plugin collection has superceded my old hardware processors (mostly digital, so no analog 'sweetening' to be gained), I haven't used external insert for quite a while, much less in combination with soloing buses. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David Baay said:

Glad to help. It sounded familiar though I hadn't encountered it myself for a long time.  As the range and quality of my plugin collection has superceded my old hardware processors (mostly digital, so no analog 'sweetening' to be gained), I haven't used external insert for quite a while, much less in combination with soloing buses. 

Yeah, same here. I got rid of plenty and now only have have one high end piece for the mix bus. I was looking at getting a higher end compressor for the drum bus but I think I'll give it a miss now.

• 3 months later...