midi controller mapping

mark skinner

I recently picked up a M-Audio oxygen 61 in a trade.  It's an older one without the drum pads or the Auto mapping button.  I would like to use the transport , record , and especially Un-Do  functions from the controller when I'm recording with it.  I've watched some conflicting videos but nothing pertaining directly to CbB.  If someone would point me in the right direction , I would appreciate it. Thanks ..   mark

I don't know all possible methods; I am guessing there are several. Not sure if the "conflicting" videos you saw were in conflict or showed different methods.

I had success mapping some buttons/sliders on my nanoKontrol  with AZ Controller as a control surface.  It worked for me, so I didn't look for other methods.

At the same time, I also used sliders in a different scene as direct-from-device CCs which I had previously set up in the KORG controller editing software. (That is, I used two methods.)

Edited by User 905133
to add info about using CCs directly
  • Like 1

I think I'll get some training on the act controller first then try out the AZSlow options. Looks like there is a lot of helpful stuff at AZ.  One thing that is confusing me about the Act set up is touching a button first while doing midi learn then moving the hardware knob button or slider.  If I wanted to map an "undo" function , what would I touch without a dedicated undo button in CbB ?    If I knew a way to build one I would have done the first day I downloaded CbB.

Thanks    mark

• Great Idea 1

Do not mix "MIDI learn" with "ACT learn". Also both are for steering plug-ins, not Cakewalk itself, they work completely different way.  "MIDI learn" inside "ACT Midi" is yet another type of "learn". That is for learning the controller. Confusing, I know...

For "Undo" in "ACT MIDI", in the Options tab (of ACT MIDI) select "Bank1" "B1" (or other) in the Buttons row and find "Edit|Undo" in the list.

If you want a dedicated undo button in the CbB GUI, enable "Custom" module in the Control Bar and select Edit/Undo for one of its buttons.

BTW in AZ Controller you can construct context sensitive custom action, f.e. Undo with transport stop as normal undo but "Stop->Undo->Record again" when you press it during recording. That is not strait forward to configure, but such (and more) examples exist on my site.

• Like 1