Adjusting Multiple Velocity Notes Quickly

Johnbee58

Good lord I guess you did't read my post,, Its very simple to highlight the notes,, use the smart tool to drag up or down and the velocity will be changed without making them all the same,, the lowest value will still be the lowest value. What do people have against using the mouse to speed things up?  No need for menues or plug ins my goodness that's a lot of work to do the same thing I can do with one combination mouse move..

• Meh 1

9 hours ago, John Vere said:

Good lord I guess you did't read my post,, Its very simple to highlight the notes,, use the smart tool to drag up or down and the velocity will be changed without making them all the same,, the lowest value will still be the lowest value. What do people have against using the mouse to speed things up?  No need for menues or plug ins my goodness that's a lot of work to do the same thing I can do with one combination mouse move..

I tried your suggestion and it didn't work for me.  If you want to take an attitude with me I could suggest you learn to explain things a bit better!  Use the Smart tool to drag up or down WHAT?  The velocity bars?  The Notes?!  I said a few posts ago that my question was answered, so it wasn't necessary for you to come on here with your attitude!

Most people on this board are very helpful, but there is a small handful who can be very rude and condescending.  Also, I'm a Christian and I don't appreciate the "Good lord" comment!  Exodus 20:7

Hi all... thanks for all the info and suggestions. I am actually thinking about redoing that video, so I'll keep these points in mind. Thanks!

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scott R. Garrigus said:

Hi all... thanks for all the info and suggestions. I am actually thinking about redoing that video, so I'll keep these points in mind. Thanks!

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
* Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
* Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/

All's good, Scott.  I very much enjoy your book!

☺️JB

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Vere said:

What do people have against using the mouse to speed things up?  No need for menues or plug ins my goodness that's a lot of work to do the same thing I can do with one combination mouse move.

Where do you get that people have something against using a mouse?  The OP actually 'Liked' your post. Just because people continue to discuss other options, that doesn't mean they're discounting your suggestion. I answered the OP's question as asked, though I might use the PRV velocity pane myself in many cases. It would depend on where I was in the UI when I decided to change the velocity and whether I needed it to change proportionally; if you're in the Track or Console views, Event Inspector is convenient. Dragging in the PRV can't change by percentage, and changing by a small amount like 5 levels can be a bit fiddly to pull off with precision, especially if you happen to be on a laptop and using a glidepoint pad.

No big deal, either way. It's always good to know different ways to skin the cat.

Edited by David Baay
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Where do you get that people have something against using a mouse?  The OP actually 'Liked' your post. Just because people continue to discuss other options, that doesn't mean their discounting your suggestion. I answered the OP's question as asked, though I might use the PRV velocity pane myself in many cases. It would depend on where I was in the UI when I decided to change the velocity and whether I needed it to change proportionally; if you're in the Track or Console views, Event Inspector is convenient. Dragging in the PRV can't change by percentage, and changing by a small amount like 5 levels can be a bit fiddly to pull off with precision, especially if you happen to be on a laptop and using a glidepoint pad.

No big deal, either way. It's always good to know different ways to skin the cat.

@John Vere For the record, I tried your suggestion again this morning just to make sure I didn't miss anything.  Again, it didn't work for me.  When I highlight the notes in the PRV the velocity bars don't highlight so when I try to move them, they don't.  So, it's not that I'm stupid and it's not that I didn't read your suggestion.  I tried it twice.

Could you have possibly left out a small detail or two?

😀JB

16 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

the PRV the velocity bars don't highlight so when I try to move them, they don't. 

If you don't have the PRV Controller pane open to show velocities in a separate lane, the velocity bars overlaid on the notes pane cannot be manipulated directly. But if you hover over the upper edge of a highlighted note in the Notes pane, you'll get a velocity tool icon; click and drag up/down to alter velocities on all selected notes, and the bars will move with the change.

Part of the reason I suggested using the Event Inspector is that it avoided having to explain a lot of details like the above.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, David Baay said:

If you don't have the PRV Controller pane open to show velocities in a separate lane, the velocity bars overlaid on the notes pane cannot be manipulated directly. But if you hover over the upper edge of a highlighted note in the Notes pane, you'll get a velocity tool icon; click and drag up/down to alter velocities on all selected notes, and the bars will move with the change.

Part of the reason I suggested using the Event Inspector is that it avoided having to explain a lot of details like the above.

That's OK, Bro!  I was satisfied with the Event Inspector method.  Somebody else came along and stirred the whole pot again.  At least you explained the whole thing without expecting me to be a mind reader.  But I'll look into this too as not to have your efforts here totally wasted.  😉

😀JB

Edited by Johnbee58

I should say John Vere a.k.a. Cactus Music is generally one of the 'good guys' around here, and should be forgiven his slightly edgy post, as I trust he will forgive me my slightly edgy response.  I myself have sometimes been tempted to post "Hellooooo??? Did anyone see my post? Do you all have me blocked or something?" ;^)

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

I should say John Vere a.k.a. Cactus Music is generally one of the 'good guys' around here, and should be forgiven his slightly edgy post, as I trust he will forgive me my slightly edgy response.  I myself have sometimes been tempted to post "Hellooooo??? Did anyone see my post? Do you all have me blocked or something?" ;^)

If he asks for forgiveness I will give it, but if he doesn't I will report him to admin for the offensive lack of consideration in taking my Lord's name in vain.  And I'm going to do it SOON!

If he's one of the "good guys" I'd hate to see what some of the "bad guys" are like. (But I think I already know as I may have dealt with some of them).

JB

I think there are a lot of good options/suggestions in this thread and I'd hate to see it closed to avoid further escalation.  JMO.

But I absolutely understand--people have to do what is right for them.

Hey, I have an idea!!! Maybe some people can post some other options for manipulating velocity en masse?

Hmmmm. Maybe all the options have been exhausted and the horse is not only dead, but it has been made into glue? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Hmmmm. Maybe all the options have been exhausted and the horse is not only dead, but it has been made into glue? :P

Well, the horse is alive and kicking! ☺️ The MIDI Transform Tool is great, but maybe most useful if one needs to raise/lower volume in a more complex way!

MIDI Transform tool
https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=4&help=EditingMIDI.25.html

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

If he asks for forgiveness I will give it, but if he doesn't I will report him to admin for the offensive lack of consideration in taking my Lord's name in vain.  And I'm going to do it SOON!

I'm an atheist, so I had to Google:

https://www.thenivbible.com/blog/what-forgiveness-requires/

You know the initiative is on the forgiver — May we wait until someone seeks our forgiveness before we forgive them? No, we may not. Jesus expects us to forgive those who sin against us even before they request it or take responsibility for what they have done (see Mark 11:25).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

I'm an atheist, so I had to Google:

https://www.thenivbible.com/blog/what-forgiveness-requires/

You know the initiative is on the forgiver — May we wait until someone seeks our forgiveness before we forgive them? No, we may not. Jesus expects us to forgive those who sin against us even before they request it or take responsibility for what they have done (see Mark 11:25).

Good point and I can't argue with God's Word,  but he didn't transgress against me.  He transgressed against God,  so I'll leave the punishment up to Him.

😀JB

Edited by Johnbee58

1 hour ago, chuckebaby said:

Guys I respect both your personal beliefs as I do every other person on this earth, but please try to keep religion off the comment boards here.

There's already been one complaint on this thread, I don't want to have to lock it.

...........though I almost wish you would.

I started this thread because I just wanted to ask a question on velocity on the DAW.  I didn't want it to become a controversy or start an argument with anybody.  My issue was satisfied several posts ago but somebody got butt hurt because I didn't use HIS suggestion (I did, actually, or TRIED it but it didn't work for me because of vague and over simplified explanation).  I didn't start this BS.  I only wanted to ask a question.

I have nothing more to say on this subject but I'm going to think long and hard before ever posting a question (or anything else for that matter) on this board again if this is how some people have to be.  Since I learned most of what I know about Cakewalk Sonar or CbB from the many good people on this forum I guess from now on I'm on my own.

I've had it!

😞JB

Edited by Johnbee58

Hi:)

In the Event Inspector for me only "-20" works, if I want to add values I have to use the Shift Key, means "(Shift)+20" for adding velocity.

If you use Autohotkey, here is a little script for adding and subtracting values to selected notes.

1. Make a Shortcut ("A" in my script) in CbB for "Scale Velocity.

2. With Autohotkey installed just select the notes and press

Shift+(Numpad+) for adding 2% velocity

Shift+(Numpad-) for subtracting 2% velocity

1% doesn't work always, can't find out why....

Greetz,

Bassman.

=======================================

#IfWinActive, ahk_exe Cakewalk.exe

+NumpadAdd::
Send, a
Send, {Numpad1}
Send, {Numpad0}
Send, {Numpad2}
Send, {TAB}
Send, {Numpad1}
Send, {Numpad0}
Send, {Numpad2}
Send, {Enter}
Return

+NumpadSub::
Send, a
Send, {Numpad9}
Send, {Numpad8}
Send, {TAB}
Send, {Numpad9}
Send, {Numpad8}
Send, {Enter}
Return

#IfWinActive

====================================

Even though I said this before, I like that this topic has generated a number of practical and useful options.

Since it hasn't been posted in this thread (so far as I can see), here are two additions: (1) a screen shot of note properties showing one place where values can be adjusted using a mouse and (2) my personal reason for not using the method even though I tend to use a mouse approx. 75-85% of the time I use a computer.  Oh--a bonus: (3) a screen shot showing a another way to scale velocity (discretely or by percent) for making crescendos and decrescendos.

(1) image.png.b352333b666cf2c4d49fdbc9fe958518.png

(2)  Deleted from above where I wrote "never mind" because I hate animosity and antagonism, and I thought even as benign as I think it is, I was afraid it might have been perceived in the wrong way and might provoked an escalation, but now it seems relevant:

I don't know if you were talking to me, but when I tried your method, the up and down movement of the mouse felt unnatural and was very uncomfortable. After a few attempts, my right scapular started to ache. And now (a few minutes later), it seems to be causing issues with my neck muscles. Perhaps it is related to an injury I sustained in the 1980s.

If your method is simpler, easier, and faster for you, great.  I will not be using it for the reason stated [because it bothers my shoulder and neck.]

(3) image.png.e35003a2485467080441038b9658a469.png

Edited by User 905133
to clarify (3) . . . "for making crescendos and decrescendos."