Canadian bullying :-(

S.L.I.P.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:31 AM, Notes_Norton said:

If you ever get to Montreal on a Sunday, do go to mass at the Notre Dame Cathedral whether you are Catholic or not. And go for the mass that features the organ and full choir. I'm not really religious and I seek out music in churches all over the world, no matter what the faith is, and the choir at Notre Dame is probably the finest I've ever heard. In second place was a choir in Vienna.

Don't forget the nighttime projection light show inside the cathedral of Notre Dame. Awesome stuff.

Edited by emeraldsoul
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Do they sing in Latin, French or English?

Depends on the piece they are singing.

A lot of the Christian Church music was written in Italian, German, French, and other European languages. I would think they stay true to that. I would also assume that they would choose French if the piece is more contemporary.

But I don't care as I don't listen to the words at first anyway. It's the melody, harmony, counter melody, comp parts, bass lines, etc., and how they are all meshing together to make the whole.

When we went to Notre Dame, the organ started, the choir sang two chords and Leilani and I both turned around to the back of the church where the choir was. It was absolutely divine.

If they had this in my city, I think I'd go to church every week, no matter what religion was being offered. Anything this beautiful can't be bad.

Notes

43 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

If they had this in my city, I think I'd go to church every week, no matter what religion was being offered. Anything this beautiful can't be bad

My wife and I feel the same way. We both have a bond with music and attending mass with no music leaves us empty.  Others disagree with us on this and say we should only be there for the mass, but it is the way we feel.   My response to them is "The Music Has Me Prayer Twice Over" 

Peace

Last year, in Vienna we attended high mass (read: long mass) with pipe organ, full classical orchestra, and full choir. They played selections from Mozart, Randhartinger, and Bruckner. We got a tip on where the best seats for acoustics were, and it was fantastic. In Vienna we also went to a symphony and an opera. None of it was in English, but that doesn't matter to me. I'm just there for the music.

When we toured England, Scotland and Wales we went to churches for Evensong. Not ever being exposed to the Anglican faith, I had never heard of this. I read about it, went to the first one. I think it was about 5:00 PM, we sat in these Gothic carved chairs, the choir was a couple of dozen adolescent girls accompanied by pipe organ. If angels could be heard, I'm sure this is what they would sound like.

We try to catch music wherever we go.

In Scotland we heard some fine jazz and some music I don't know what to call in a road house - so I'll call it Scottish Folk for lack of a better term.

In Canada I've heard out-of-tune but delightful folk in Nova Scotia, Symphonies in Quebec, Rock in Ontario, and in New Brunswick a few people with flat top guitars in a motel room next to ours invited us over and we had a great time.

They were very polite. First they asked us if we were bothering them with the music. I of course said "No problem" and then they invited us to join them.

So don't go bullying those Canadians. They're nice people. Eh?

Notes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wibbles said:

That's why it's eluded me then.

I still have the burn scars from the last time I tried to enter a church.

... the last encounter I had with a member of the clergy was with a vicar whom The Daily Mail dubbed "The Rev of Rage". 

She is a piece of work, I can tell you. Perhaps I will*. :)

It would also provide an illustration of how the gutter press can print a story where everything stated is more or less true but presented in a way that distorts the truth.

* Although, normally I lack the enthusiasm for making posts more than a few sentences long.