Is there a piano roll view chord tool available?

yeto

Is there a piano roll view chord tool available? I posted a photo of the one in DAW LMMS. Basically, the way it works is that you select the chord type and when you add a note in PRV the chord tool adds the additional notes to complete the chord.

I was just wondering if CbB has this already or if an add-on might be available?

chord tool.JPG

Edited by yeto

On 1/6/2020 at 10:33 AM, yeto said:

Is there a piano roll view chord tool available? I posted a photo of the one in DAW LMMS. Basically, the way it works is that you select the chord type and when you add a note in PRV the chord tool adds the additional notes to complete the chord.

I was just wondering if CbB has this already or if an add-on might be available?

chord tool.JPG

No, but from the inspector you can lock to a midi scale, and it will highlight those notes in the PRV, making it easy to build chords from a scale.

The other alternative would be to use a CAL script. There is one for natural minor iirc in the CAL library. You enter the root note and then run the script. It will build the chords for you.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Anubis aka Maito Makusu Senpai said:

No, but from the inspector you can lock to a midi scale, and it will highlight those notes in the PRV, making it easy to build chords from a scale.

The other alternative would be to use a CAL script. There is one for natural minor iirc in the CAL library. You enter the root note and then run the script. It will build the chords for you.

I Googled "midi daw cal library" but I didn't see any related results. What is a CAL library?

6 hours ago, yeto said:

I Googled "midi daw cal library" but I didn't see any related results. What is a CAL library?

Since the beginning Sonar has a library of CAL scripts.   Basically you can script or program for midi.  For example I use the undup all the time to find if there's any duplicate midi note which is not visible since one note would be under the other, but the velocity or volume would jump. 

On 1/7/2020 at 5:32 PM, Anubis aka Maito Makusu Senpai said:

Can this be done with an instrument track? I have googled but cannot find a page that instructs how to do this. This is something I would really like to learn how to do.

yeto

*** I just found this:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR X2&language=3&help=EditingMIDI.40.html

Edited by yeto

yes this is it! It is really fun.

You can build chords easily from the PRV using that tool, like the cool kids in FL studio.

... Or you could try using a free vst plugin like Chordz https://freevsts.com/chordz/

There are multiple ways to come up with chords for non musicians like myself. Let me know if you need help,

18 minutes ago, Anubis aka Maito Makusu Senpai said:

... Or you could try using a free vst plugin like Chordz https://freevsts.com/chordz/

I am always looking for the fastest way to input chords into PRV. I have looked at Chordz before and as I far as I can tell it just helps someone play chords by just using a single key press. I play guitar so currently when entering chords into PRV I am clicking the individual chord notes one by one. Something like the picture I posted above would be very helpful. 

I am not complaining though. Once I have the chord in PRV I can copy and paste throughout the song so it is not too bad.

Thank you for all your help,

yeto 

Edited by yeto
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, yeto said:

I am always looking for the fastest way to input chords into PRV. I have looked at Chordz before and as I far as I can tell it just helps someone play chords by just using a single key press. I play guitar so currently when entering chords into PRV I am clicking the individual chord notes one by one. Something like the picture I posted above would be very helpful. 

I am not complaining though. Once I have the chord in PRV I can copy and paste throughout the song so it is not too bad.

Thank you for all your help,

yeto 

Have you tried entering notes on the fretboard of the staff view?
When writing for guitar, this is fastest for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

Have you tried entering notes on the fretboard of the staff view?
When writing for guitar, this is fastest for me.

I will give that a try. Thank you for the suggestion.

Always willing to learn something new,
yeto