PluginGuru releases UNIFY with intro price of $59

Reid Rosefelt

Just to clarify, can Unify control/modulate *any* arbitrary patch from any VI you own -- i.e., is Unify truly a universal VI/FX host?

Also, I take it that this sort of thing is not really new, but what's valuable here is the ease of creating new 'meta-instruments', yes?

)

14 hours ago, locrian said:

Just to clarify, can Unify control/modulate *any* arbitrary patch from any VI you own -- i.e., is Unify truly a universal VI/FX host?

Also, I take it that this sort of thing is not really new, but what's valuable here is the ease of creating new 'meta-instruments', yes?

{snip}

I wouldn't like to say "any" without trying them all but I think that's the general idea. It's now at version 1.0.9 and I was able to scan all of my VSTis.

The value is what you said but also some of the great Plugin Guru samples that are included.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, ZincT said:

Thanks! Finally went for it before AudioDeluxe changes their minds!

same here :)

I did notice this on the pluginguru website

"If you purchased Unify from an affiliate dealer, they will provide updates to Unify in the future. If you buy Unify here, then updates will be provided to your account here at PlugInGuru.com. "

There is no way to register your copy on the pluginguru website - does that mean we are reliant on AD to provide links to updates etc ? 🤔

Edit - can't see any way to download from the pluginguru website so I guess so - I've emailed them so will report back

Edited by simon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, simon said:

"If you purchased Unify from an affiliate dealer, they will provide updates to Unify in the future. If you buy Unify here, then updates will be provided to your account here at PlugInGuru.com. "

There is no way to register your copy on the pluginguru website - does that mean we are reliant on AD to provide links to updates etc ? 🤔

Ah that's a shame. I didn't see that. It looks that way Simon.  Let's hope that John would "do the right thing" if AD ever went under! 

26 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Ah that's a shame. I didn't see that. It looks that way Simon.  Let's hope that John would "do the right thing" if AD ever went under! 

I'm sure he would - my main concern was actually getting hold of updates in the short term.....that seem to be coming pretty fast at the moment.   

You would also think that PluginGuru would want you to register your stuff - so they can have your data and sell you more !  

Edited by simon
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, simon said:

I'm sure he would - my main concern was actually getting hold of updates in the short term.....that seem to be coming pretty fast at the moment.   

You would also think that PluginGuru would want you to register your stuff - so they can have your data and sell you more !  

Yes indeed, and they have just sent me an email about their Unify demo which is now available! Er thanks but I own I full product! 

• Like 1

Doesn't look like the 1.09 content update is included with the Windows installer, like the email said.  Does look like it's in the Mac package though, a packing mistake maybe?

I picked up Freestyle last week (and Nuance).  From a make your own point of view it's a lot better than Unify.  Unify's big strength is the patches that come with it.  Making your own patch in Unify is a bit difficult.  The VST scanner in 1.09 is much better though.

50 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Doesn't look like the 1.09 content update is included with the Windows installer, like the email said.  Does look like it's in the Mac package though, a packing mistake maybe?

I picked up Freestyle last week (and Nuance).  From a make your own point of view it's a lot better than Unify.  Unify's big strength is the patches that come with it.  Making your own patch in Unify is a bit difficult.  The VST scanner in 1.09 is much better though.

The updates described in the email do appear to be in the Windows version 1.09 that I have just installed which I downloaded from AudioDeluxe (via ilio.com).

Maybe that's because I didn't have any previous version installed. In my Unify folder there' a single Unify Factory Content.guru file which is 2.35 GB (2,529,426,868 bytes) and the Libraries and Presets folders.

• Thanks 1

They tell me there isn't a 1.09 update file for Windows.  That's a Mac only thing (and it doesn't update content, just updates the software only on the Mac).  I think their Mac installer isn't quite like the Windows one. 

For Windows users if you just run the installer it will update you.  They have merged the content into one guru file (used to be 2), but it hasn't changed if you already installed it you don't need to download and reinstall it. 

Edited by Matthew Sorrels
  • Thanks 2

On 1/7/2020 at 6:48 PM, artturner said:

I'm really torn on this one. On one hand, I think I can accomplish the same thing within my current DAWs now that I see the concept. On the other hand, I have FOMO about what it might become and how early adopters might be rewarded. Oh well, just broadcasting my personal issues I guess.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:20 PM, TheSteven said:

I have FOBASS (fear of buying another shelf sitter).
No offense to Skippy, I like his stuff and have a number of his libraries.  I really hope this works out great for him and everyone who buys into it.
I'm just not sure it's for me.  I'm hearing some great sounds but if I'm honest with myself I know that I don't build songs with this kind of stuff, it's just not my style; no offense meant if it's yours. 
I'll probably rewatch the videos and maybe at some point either get convinced or get infected with enough FOMO toxens that I succumb...

Peace out...

Just about anything I buy now is FOBASS.  If it's over $10 I usually have no trouble saying no.

I have FL which has Patcher.  You can throw anything in Live's Drum Racks, plus I have VE Pro.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:49 AM, simon said:

Edit - can't see any way to download from the pluginguru website so I guess so - I've emailed them so will report back

Hi Everyone,

If you purchased Unify from a dealer,  the same download link you were given will always point to the most recent Unify installer. If you have any questions, you can always contact ILIO by reaching our friendly technical support staff either by phone or by emailing us on our website (www.ilio.com). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, ILIO_Official said:

Hi Everyone,

If you purchased Unify from a dealer,  the same download link you were given will always point to the most recent Unify installer. If you have any questions, you can always contact ILIO by reaching our friendly technical support staff either by phone or by emailing us on our website (www.ilio.com). 

While I'm not exactly thrilled how PlugInGuru is handling this - I am happy about the way that you are!
Thanks for dropping in and updating us.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2020 at 2:58 AM, TheSteven said:

While I'm not exactly thrilled how PlugInGuru is handling this - I am happy about the way that you are!
Thanks for dropping in and updating us.

I think the behaviour of PlugInGuru is absolutely atrocious and commercially suicidal.

I have bought software from music stores and online from Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, XLN, Waves, Cakewalk, Steinberg, Imageline, Izotope, IK Multimedia, Presonus, Applied Acoustics, Gospel Musicians, Cherry Audio, U-he, Eventide, etc.

All supply updates, all want me to register, all treat me the same whichever sales channel I used to purchase their product.

Nearly all of them WANT a direct relationship with me as a user, through registration, updates, forums, support, etc.

As a result, most of them have seen more revenue from me, often direct.

Now, in the video, AFTER purchasing Unify through PlugInGuru's appointed distribution channel, PlugInGuru has a fit of pique and says I am a second-class user of his software and he can barely bring himself to say the names of the online shops selling his software.

Well, you know what? If you don't want a sales channel, don't appoint one. And if you are going to make some of your purchasers second-class citizens, tell them BEFORE they buy.

Commercially stupid because I have gone from an enthusiast to a sceptic. Am I going to buy expansion packs for a product about which the manufacturer won't support me or provide me with updates or upgrades? Hell no.

Incredible.