Adding a metronome to exsisting track

Hi

I've imported an old track I did a few years ago, but I seem not to have used a metronome. I now want to add addictive drums to it, but obviously I need some kind of beat to follow; now it is possible I didnt ever use a metronome to follow and just did it live as it were, certainly it doesnt play when I click the"metronome while playback" button so this may be futile.

Can I add a click track ( assuming it is in time) or can I possibly get the whole track to play in time if I just recorded everything in real time without a click track ( if thats what I did  that was a fluke as it still sounds pretty much in time) ( wild guess and long shot I know)

I have not tried this but I have seen others mention it. Pending a reply from someone who has used it, maybe reading the documentation will help?

Fit Improvisation : "The Process > Fit Improvisation command lets you take a recording and create a tempo map (with measure and beat boundaries) that fits what you played. Your performance is not changed in any way, even though the note start times and durations are adjusted to fit the new tempo map."

5 hours ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

certainly it doesnt play when I click the"metronome while playback" button

I'm not sure what this means. You should be able to hear the audio metronome when enabled for playback; it will just be out of sync with the music if the project tempo isn't matching the recording.

Fit Improvisation is requires a MIDI click track as a guide.  The best 'automatic' solution for audio is to drag-drop the audio on the timeline to have Melodyne extract tempos. If you don't already have some flavor of Melodyne installed, you can install the trial of Melodyne Essentials using the 'Install Add-ons'  option  on the Apps tab of Bandlab Assistant. The trial expires, but the drag-to-timeline function will continue to work indefinitely. Depending on the material, Melodyne can do a good job, but the Essentials version will sometimes mis-detect the tempos by a factor of 2, and doesn't allow for any correction. Also, it interpolates tempos at 8th-note resolution which I find to be excessive, and potentially problematic, expecially when the tempo is essentially fixed with just a bit of rushing/dragging drift over time.

Personally, I prefer to do tempo extraction manually using Set Measure/Beat At Now. You can find a summary of the process here:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1