X-Touch Mini...Confused.. midi device failure

bassface

Hello..I have just recently purchased the X-touch mini

in the hope that i would be able to control plug-ins EG. eq knobs etc

in the same way i can with my  roland A300  keyboard which responds to Sonar ACT.

ive tried for a few hours and it seems that the X touch will not respond to ACT.

is this correct? am i doing something wrong?

Its just that the A300 is quite large to put on the desk every time i want to mix tracks

and i was hoping to utilize the small footprint of the x touch.

Thanks

• bassface changed the title to X-Touch Mini...Confused.. midi device failure

Thanks for that...

now when i connect the  x touch mini i get...

midi device failure...there is not enough memory available?????

i have been using windows a long time and have never seen that one.

any one know whats going on?

thanks

been doing some research...

1. it seems its a mainly cakewalk/sonar based problem (please correct me if i am wrong)

2. ive looked in device manager hidden devices and found that i have minimal midi devices ,

still i deleted what i thought i could  but no luck

3.is it my imagination or are these problems more present when the behringer x touch series is involved?

looking forward to your replies.

Edited by bassface
update

(a) You try to use X-Touch Mini from 2 (or more) applications in parallel. That is not supported by Windows standard MIDI drivers. It is not Cakewalk specific not X-Touch specific. The message is misleading, but it comes from Windows (it has many device related misleading diagnostic).

Check you do not have MIDI-OX, other DAWs, Behringer editor, etc. running when you start Cakewalk. Also check you are not using some plug-ins which try to work with MIDI devices directly (rare but exist, f.e. Ctrlr)

(b) you have started Cakewalk with X-Touch or any other MIDI device disconnected / connected to other port, etc. Under some conditions, Cakewalk is confused and theoretically can try to open the device twice (not that I have seen that).

Delete corresponding ini files for Cakewalk, it will regenerate them.

(c) your device/cable/connection is unstable. That can produce all sort of errors. That is not unusual with Mini, my periodically fail to initialize or crash after closing DAWs, when connected throw 10m USB hub and I forget to switch on extra power for it.

Try another port and cable.

(d) set UWP mode for MIDI in Cakewalk. UWP supports device "sharing" (unlike MME).

• Like 1

Thanks Azslow..it was the behringer editor that was open..

Ok so now it works in ACT Midi

Im getting closer to what i want to achieve but have hit a stumbling block.

i am using the in built cakewalk ACT template with a good degree of success.

As some of you know the X touch has 2 layers... A and B..

i can map layer A to bank 1 of the template

and also layer B to bank 2 but i cannot stop certain encoders (once mapped) from affecting others

EG. layer A encoder 1 ,2 ,3 are fine but 4,5,6,7,8, also control Layer B 1,2,3,4 etc

this means when i want to map a VST plug with ACT learn

when i get to knob 4 it not only controls say eq band 1 but also controls eq band 5

this is not workable...so either i limit myself to Layer A encoders and forget about the other layer

or perhaps someone much smarter than me knows the solution to this problem

made so much more frustrating seeing that i am so very close to achieving my goal

anyway thanks for reading.

Banks is ACT MIDI are internal. So you can define buttons to switch them, but you can not use banks to assign more hardware controls.

ACT MIDI supports exactly 8+8+8 + 1 controls. That is already insufficient just for one layer (encoders are pushable and there is one fader, so one layer is 8x2+8+8+1).

ACT MIDI supports encoders, but you can not change sensitivity (the speed of parameter changes)

ACT MIDI has no feedback.

So, if you want all power of your controller, use AZ Controller with mentioned preset. You will have feedback, several logical layers, 2 banks for ACT  and you still can tune everything to your taste.

• Thanks 1

OK getting closer.

Thanks aszlow ,i now have the AZ controller and the x touch mini preset installed and is responding to sonar.

but i still cant assign both Layers A + B . i can ONLY get one or the other...

i dont care about any other functions e.g  transport mutes etc

all i want is to assign 16 discrete rotaries to 16 knobs on my EQ via ACT..simple ,right? well not for me.

Also  the lights on my x touch mini  that indicate layer A or B are not working (they did before)

that would be inconvenient..any idea whats happening there?

anyway good piece of software and thankyou for taking the time to help me.

OK the lights are back on...

the only time i can get ACT to function in my plug in is when Layer B is LIT UP

other wise the x touch just controls pan..vol etc

still cant get A + B to affect 16 knobs

Edited by bassface
update

Do you mean "ACT Learn"? It was broken for decade... I am not sure how A300 could work for you, if it was the only surface that could be some luck. But once you use more then one surface (so f.e.  A300 and AZ Controller), both mapping files are in use (one is "generic" and another has mapping per surface). And that has no chance to work as long as one of them (usually per surface) is broken (once it is broken it will be broken till fixed).

Use AZ ACT Fix.  It can detect problems in these files and sometimes fix them.  And it can make backups / restores when something can not be repaired.

• Thanks 1