IK Multimedia plugs - Issues with drop outs in Cakewalk

TheSteven

Wondering if anyone else is running into this or if I've been blessed with this particular headache.
I've been having issues with IK Multimedia plugs in Cakewalk, not all but selected plugs or selected presets when using certain plugins.
Note that this is not an issue with the latest Cakewalk build - I've reinstalled previous builds (2511, 25.09, etc.) and verified same issue.

Originally I thought is was because of high CPU usage but that doesn't appear to be the critical factor.

For example using

AmpliTube 4 with the Brian May collection - half the patches won't play (Brighton Rock - Live Killers, Death on Two Legs,  Fat Bottomed Girls Rhythm, Flash, etc.)

• even if there is only one track in the project with the only FX loaded being AmpliTube 4
  • regardless of sample size or sample rate

and same thing with Tape collection, for example the 440.

However with Studio One 4 - no problem, I can have both of the above plugins loaded on same track and no drop outs

System specs:
InteI(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical.
Running Windows 10 Pro, 64bit v10.0.18362
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    24.0 GB  
HD:  Samsung SDD850 EVO 1TB
Audio Interface: IKM AXE I/O
I was previously using a Roland Quad Capture but had same issue  with the IKM Tape collection, got AmpliTube4 after switching to AXE I/O.

Edited by TheSteven

• 2 weeks later...

Did some more testing...

• Verified that my CPU usage doesn't exceed 20% during these tests.
  • Tried same thing (procesing same audio track with same plugin) in latest version of Image Line - works fine there.
  • Switched interface to my old Quad Capture - same issue with Cakewalk
  • Same problem with either VST or VST3 versions (removed VST3 versions from system to bee sure they weren't being swapped).
  • Tried disabling / enabling 64 bit processing, 2x over sampling, plugin load balancing, etc. and no change.

Maybe something running on my system is causing the issue with Cakewalk when using IK Multimedia plugins, if so I still haven't figured it out.

Edited by TheSteven

@TheSteven Just tried those Brian May patches and they work fine on my system (tried all BM patches and they worked OK). 

Also tried it with all of the tape machines (440, 80, 24 and 99) which also worked fine.

I am on the latest CbB build, Amplitube v 4.9 and T-Racks v 5.2.2. 

Is there anything else I can check for you to help with tracking down your problems?

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

Try raising the buffer.

I did but that had no effect in this situation.
Changing the buffer and/or sample rate had no affect on the issue.  But if I had created a new project it would have - see below.  Thankfully this was just a test project with one audio track...

I've been working with Jason from IKM on this and after trying a variety of things he suggested 

If you start a new session in Cakewalk > 44.1 - 24 bit
If you right click on the FX slot on the audio channel and load AmpliTube from here only and use it like this does it still happen?

and no issues...  I can even stack AmpliTube & the Tape decks with no problem.

What’s odd is my test track should have been 44.1 - 24 bit when it was created but apparently was not, if I try to paste a track from my ‘problem’ project I get message that the sample rates don’t match.

The previous Cakewalk update nuked my working default settings – thought I had reset everything; or maybe I missed something but caught it after I created my test track but by then the damage was already done and I was in the rabbit hole...  

Edited by TheSteven

16 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

What were the settings on the problem project? 

I don't know...
I thought it was 44.1k/24bit but don't think it is.

I spent a half hour trying various combos but I am unable to recreate the issue with a new project - which I guess is a good thing.
The bad project is still bad, so it wasn't my imagination. I created that project between the current Cakewalk update and the previous but that may not mean anything.  I'm just going to write this off as a fluke and move on.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1