Tracks out of order or just confused?

James McKee

Hey everyone:

So i did the latest Bandlab update for cakewalk which seem to come our every 15 minutes and my tracks are all out of order? So i select track 2 and it plays the sound on track 5. Track 1 is fine and then i select track 3 and it plays the sound on track 4. Select 4 and it plays 5. They all seem to be out of order and these are all vst's on various sounds from drums to keys etc... Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks!

When you say "select" do you mean click on the track and then play something on your keyboard?  Normally selecting something doesn't make it play unless you are talking about playing a VSTI using your keyboard. This is only the case if your input echo follows your selection.

If you mean when you solo the track it plays the wrong instrument then you should check that your tracks a re referencing the correct snyth.  If you are using simple instrument tracks then you will have to open the inspector, 'i' key, and check the midi in and out as well as the audio channel it is feeding.

Make sure you have each track;s Input set to only your keyboard's MIDI port, not Omni - All Inputs. If the problem persists, right-click Instrument tracks, choose Split Instrument Track, and check the routing of the MIDI track outputs. I haven't seen a problem, but a number of people have mentioned soft synth routing getting crossed up recently - usually in connection with connecting/disconnecting hardware MIDI devices with a project open. 

One technique I use is to have multiple channels set up with different patches on a hardware or software synth and just change the transmitting channel on my keyboard. So, that can be an intentional performance/recording strategy. Just a matter of personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm having a similar problem, also after updating to the latest version of the software. Apparently I should have known better and not updated. :P

Track 5 in my project is supposed to be a virtual choir from Spitfire Audio's LABS plugin, but when I solo it, it plays the instrument from track 3 which is a music box, also from Spitfire LABS. When I solo track 3, it's completely silent. The actual instrument settings on each of those respective tracks are correct, but the software seems to be confusing them for whatever reason.

I've been having a lot of irritating bugs like this for the last few days and man, it's really annoying. How am I supposed to get any work done when things like this just inexplicably throw up and fry themselves?

EDIT: Okay so to make matters worse, I just restarted the software and track 5 is now completely silent (as well as track 3), but now track 1 is simultaneously playing the midi from it's own track and from track 6. ...this makes no sense and is extremely frustrating, especially when I'm on a deadline like I am right now.

Edited by Joshua Morgan

• 3 weeks later...

The same exact thing just happened with the song I've been working on, which is so frustrating. A new bit of information, this has happened to me several times before this update, and it is just the MIDI notes being sent to a different bus. Why does it do this? I have absolutely no idea. It sends my piano to the drum track, my drums are silent, and the lead piano is switched with the piano with delay on it, none of the settings or MIDI inputs affect it. I think this is some larger issue with the update process and trying to open files from the old version, but either way Cakewalk needs to see this. We all have some very important projects I'm sure, and right now it seems like there's no solution.

I have had this happen before. If I remember right it had to do with EZ Drummer 2 when I upgraded from 1 or something of the sort. A VST was not recognized or something and Cakewalk adjusted all the track outputs and routed them to different VST's. On the projects where this happened I had to go back in and redirect everything to it's proper place. 

The thing here is if this was a bug then there would be general havoc here and a million posts. Example I don't have this issue and I'm sure that most of us are experiencing business as usual.   I just updated today and have opened a bunch of songs that all have at least 4 VST instruments. 

They did make some change to accommodate multi outputs if your using an instrument track... I don't use instrument tracks so possibly this might be the difference. Is everybody that is having this issue using instrument tracks? 

Edited by John Vere