MIDI Question

Keith Wilby

Hi all,

So, for example, if I create a MIDI track using "SI-Bass Guitar", I get a lane with all the little dashes in it that represent the notes I played. I can then record those notes into a waveform in the lane above it. I've never felt the need to do that and I wondered what, if any, the advantage was. Anyone?

Many thanks.

The only real reason to bounce a virtual instrument or synth to an audio file is if you want to free up resources from a CPU hungry synth or project. Or, I suppose some people may just like to look at the waveforms of things as they mix. I do this regularly with Drums so that I work with them as though I recorded them and am not so tempted to keep going back to the midi to tweak things.

However, you can keep it as a midi track and do the same things you can do to an audio track it is just that you won't have the audio waveforms to look at. You can apply effect, add VSTs etc. just like an audio track because the output of the synth or virtual instrument actually has to go to an audio track to be heard.

• Like 1

Midi tracks or instrument tracks?

I only use Instrument tracks, don't use midi tracks at all. Certainly with Instrument tracks, you can apply audio effects etc as if it was an audio track. If you have SI bass guitar on an Instrument track then you can apply whatever effects. I never feel the need to record the instrument track to a waveform but it depends how you work. As previously stated the main reason to do so is to conserve resources however sometimes it is good to do so if you are burning stems or you just get a part how you like and don't want to change it or be tempted to endlessly tweak it.

I usually leave the bass and drums on instrument tracks as I like to be able to change the midi data there and also the sounds. With guitars and piano's when I've got something, with the vocals down I usually burn them to audio because I have learned that I tend to fiddle with them otherwise. The endless fiddling never seems to create anything better. If I decide I want to add more guitars or piano, I just add more Instrument tracks.

• Like 1