Overloud TH-U

Hidden Symmetry

My first reaction is "ouch," "lackluster," or possibly Kevin Klein's "Disappointed!" (from A Fish Called Wanda). Jim posted in another thread that the Rig Player doesn't allow recording "for the time being," so I ratcheted down my expectations before popping off the demo. It took another hit when the text insert in the TH-U manual for the Rig Player states "Overloud does these rig modelling in house using top quality tools and procedures, to allow users to play with the best guitar tones possible." "In house" makes me assume Rig Modeling will not be "in studio" any time soon (defeating the purpose of ambient modeling as well). The Amp Tweak is also not available on Rig Models as far as I can tell, which drove another nail in the coffin for me (even if I could model my tube amp, I cannot alter it).

With all of the hype behind the Rig Player, it would have been nicer to be upfront to what it actually is... which appears to be a method to market other people's rigs, not capture your own.

This left me with putzing around what I could find new and the new shimmer effect (nothing earth-shattering for me). The search feature would have been nice back in the TH2 days, but at this point I have already sorted things manually, so that is OBE for me.  I will hold off till I get a better feel for what is actually new (I missed some things), and what is intended going forward.

Just wanted to give folks this heads up, since Rig Player got touted pretty heavily in the past month. In reality, this fell far short of what got marketed.

Edited by mettelus
  • Thanks 1

Don't like the stock Cabs (don't like them in Helix, HeadRush, and most other AmpSims both hardware and software).

Using my preferred Cab IRs, TH-U is sounding pretty good.

Comparing it to Helix Native and HeadRush (hardware) side-by-side, it's holding up pretty well.

Overloud has a set of "British" profiles available for purchase for the Rig Player.

The included Profiles are (IMO) a little on the lower-end side.  Just enough to show what's possible... but leaves you wanting better Amp/Cab/Mic "Rig" profiles.

CPU use is pretty low (even when running at 96k)

On higher-gain setting, background noise is a little lower than some other AmpSims.  Working with guitar/bass pickups in close proximity to a computer (EMI), that's always a welcome thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Maybe I should demo it first. Not really impressed with the tones so far. Shimmering reverb is just OK, Rig Player... well, maybe it'll grow on me with some great online profiles, but the provided profiles are nothing to write home about. I get better tones with AT4 and RV4, which also allows to use profiled amps/pedals/rigs, and tweak schematics when needed.

What are your thoughts on TH3 full?  Are you happy with that one? I use that and it is very usable for my needs but when I saw there was an update, well, you know how it goes :) I tend not to buy things I dont need though, and reading your post and others in here, it does not seem to be that much of an incentive to go to TH-U at this point. 

1 minute ago, Tobias said:

What are your thoughts on TH3 full?  Are you happy with that one? I use that and it is very usable for my needs but when I saw there was an update, well, you know how it goes :) I tend not to buy things I dont need though, and reading your post and others in here, it does not seem to be that much of an incentive to go to TH-U at this point. 

Out of Amplitube 4, GuitarRig 5, Revalver 4 and TH3, overall TH3 stands out for me as the best. All four products are great and have their place though.

I love the guitar modelling of Revalver, and the sheer number and range of presets in GuitarRig is very impressive and the sounds are good, if a tad over-processed for my liking.

But as far as TH3 is concerned, the upgrade to TH3 Full from the Cakewalk Edition was well worth it.

The upgrade from TH3 Full to TH-U is not as big an upgrade, but I welcome the new presets & models.

• Like 1

What I am missing in TH3 is something like the "air" setting in other guitar plugins (like GuitarRig). I played a lot with real guitar amplifiers and still do and I feel that the air setting helps to get closer to a "real" guitar sound.

Second, I have the impression that TH3 sounds better with humbuckers than with single coils. Generally (with all guitar plugins that I know) I miss the information whether a preset has been made for humbuckers or for single coils, as it really makes a difference!

The only thing I saw so far is a setting in the 'Master' tab.  'Low' is low sensitivity that matches the output level of single coil pickups.  And a 'High' sensitivity setting where 'high sensitivity matches the output of humbucker pickups.'

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Out of Amplitube 4, GuitarRig 5, Revalver 4 and TH3, overall TH3 stands out for me as the best. All four products are great and have their place though.

I love the guitar modelling of Revalver, and the sheer number and range of presets in GuitarRig is very impressive and the sounds are good, if a tad over-processed for my liking.

But as far as TH3 is concerned, the upgrade to TH3 Full from the Cakewalk Edition was well worth it.

The upgrade from TH3 Full to TH-U is not as big an upgrade, but I welcome the new presets & models.

thanks for the input.  I think I will stick with TH3 Full for the time being then. 

16 hours ago, balinas said:

The only thing I saw so far is a setting in the 'Master' tab.  'Low' is low sensitivity that matches the output level of single coil pickups.  And a 'High' sensitivity setting where 'high sensitivity matches the output of humbucker pickups.'

Oh is that right? I have mine on High ( I believe ) but my guitar is all single coil. Maybe that is why many presets are way too "hot", will have to try that. 

Edited by Tobias

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Oh is that right? I have mine on High ( I believe ) but my guitar is all single coil. Maybe that is why many presets are way too "hot", will have to try that. 

Use the input-meter to adjust your gain going into TH-3 or TH-U.

Peak/loudest playing should be in the green area of the meter.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 2

Even similar guitars can have significantly different output levels.

I've got two guitars with humbuckers in the bridge (one covered and the other open-coil)

Using exact same preamp settings,  the guitar with open-coil is ~5dB hotter.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
more details

Even similar guitars can have significantly different output levels.

I've got two guitars with humbuckers in the bridge (one covered and the other open-coil)

Using exact same preamp settings,  the guitar with open-coil is ~5dB hotter.

BTW, This is the reason that all presets are terrible.

If they weren't created with a very similar guitar, they're going to sound "wrong" because there's so much variance between instruments/pickups.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 12:42 AM, mettelus said:

My first reaction is "ouch," "lackluster," or possibly Kevin Klein's "Disappointed!" (from A Fish Called Wanda). Jim posted in another thread that the Rig Player doesn't allow recording "for the time being," so I ratcheted down my expectations before popping off the demo. It took another hit when the text insert in the TH-U manual for the Rig Player states "Overloud does these rig modelling in house using top quality tools and procedures, to allow users to play with the best guitar tones possible." "In house" makes me assume Rig Modeling will not be "in studio" any time soon (defeating the purpose of ambient modeling as well). The Amp Tweak is also not available on Rig Models as far as I can tell, which drove another nail in the coffin for me (even if I could model my tube amp, I cannot alter it).

With all of the hype behind the Rig Player, it would have been nicer to be upfront to what it actually is... which appears to be a method to market other people's rigs, not capture your own.

This left me with putzing around what I could find new and the new shimmer effect (nothing earth-shattering for me). The search feature would have been nice back in the TH2 days, but at this point I have already sorted things manually, so that is OBE for me.  I will hold off till I get a better feel for what is actually new (I missed some things), and what is intended going forward.

Just wanted to give folks this heads up, since Rig Player got touted pretty heavily in the past month. In reality, this fell far short of what got marketed.

Maybe Overloud wants to do like Amplitube 4 and open a custom shop for their new Rig Models.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:34 PM, Tobias said:

TH3 is alright. It has some usable sounds, but it's not my number one for anything,  be it clean, crunch or lead tones. TH-U is not a game changer either.    Changing preamp/poweramp tubes  feel more like switching between different IRs. Hard to explain, but even though it sounds different and, to a certain degree, reminiscent of the modeled amplifier, it still doesn't feel right.

But I think with the right set if RIG profiles and IRs TH-U should sound and feel  very close to the real gear.

Can you guys enlighten be a bit on RIG profiles and IR's ?   :) IR's seems to me to be things you can buy from otherplaces ?  What are some you guys recommend in terms of quality, where to look I mean? I realize it depends on type etc but I would think there are some that delivers good quality in general? 

I will read up on it abit now and educate myself on it ... but would appreciate any input on the above. 

Edited by Tobias

Cab IRs capture the frequency response of a mic'd guitar/bass cabinet.

You can then play an Amp signal (real or amp-sim) thru the Cab IR... and it sounds very close to the real Amp/Mic'd Cab.

If you've heard of the Kemper Profiling Amp, it sends a series of test signals thru a real mic'd Amp/Cab...

The result of what the Kemper receives back allows it to very accurately reproduce the whole mic'd Amp/Cab "Rig".

The Rig Player in TH-U has all the parameters that are present on the Kemper.

The only thing missing (vs the Kemper); the ability to create profiles yourself.  I'm assuming Overloud is doing this for legal reasons.

If you could create your own Profiles (and assuming they're as accurate as the Kemper), it's very much a game-changer.

The ability to very accurately reproduce the sound of any mic'd amp/cab (with a $200 plugin) would be revolutionary.

• Like 2