pops and crackles

reza sadeghi

Hi guys, I recently upgraded my windows 8.1 to 10. Now I get lots of pops and crackles on lower buffer size .  Even playing a simple YouTube  causes the same problem .  I always record my projects on 96 khz , so I put windows sound setting on 96khz too to prevent any sample rate conflict when I am using sonar and for example playing something on YouTube. I never had this problem with windows 8.1. I already did all the performance setting on my win10 and mobo but still the same.

I have Intel  i7 4770k , Asus sabertooth z87, 24 GB ram and SSD for C drive and my audio device is Orion Studio HD.

I am just wondering if someone has the same experience.

Thanks for any help

3 hours ago, reza sadeghi said:

Hi guys, I recently upgraded my windows 8.1 to 10. Now I get lots of pops and crackles on lower buffer size .  Even playing a simple YouTube  causes the same problem .  I always record my projects on 96 khz , so I put windows sound setting on 96khz too to prevent any sample rate conflict when I am using sonar and for example playing something on YouTube. I never had this problem with windows 8.1. I already did all the performance setting on my win10 and mobo but still the same.

I have Intel  i7 4770k , Asus sabertooth z87, 24 GB ram and SSD for C drive and my audio device is Orion Studio HD.

Thanks for any help

A couple things to consider. If the project is big, it will need lots of resources and maybe a lower buffer size is not going to work with your current sound card and its drivers. 

Another thing, If you are using the on-board sound chip, you will not get as good performance, as if you were to use a sound card make for audio recording/production, like form MOTU, RME, Focusrite and so on. On-board sound chips are cheaply made and do not have the drivers written for them to handle such task and that includes the circuitry of the on-board sound chips as well, they are not made for using with a DAW.

12 hours ago, CJ Jacobson said:

A couple things to consider. If the project is big, it will need lots of resources and maybe a lower buffer size is not going to work with your current sound card and its drivers. 

Another thing, If you are using the on-board sound chip, you will not get as good performance, as if you were to use a sound card make for audio recording/production, like form MOTU, RME, Focusrite and so on. On-board sound chips are cheaply made and do not have the drivers written for them to handle such task and that includes the circuitry of the on-board sound chips as well, they are not made for using with a DAW.

No i already disabled the on board audio device and just running all my audios by the  Antelope Orion Studio HD.

Yes I run the latency mon. It says :

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. 
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:00:57  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

Bios is the latest update.  

Would it be barbecue my motherboard is old?

Edited by reza sadeghi

I like bbq. 😁

This issue is fixable 95% of the time I'd say.

You need to look at the drivers tab too see which is running long.

Make sure to disable power saving features on network cards and usb select suspend.

Then check latency monitor again.

I once had a mouse that introduced an issue.

Trouble shooting this is a pain... We all agree. But i think we all do it after major machine changes including hardware and os.

Is your machine a laptop?

Edited by Gswitz

9 hours ago, Gswitz said:

I like bbq. 😁

This issue is fixable 95% of the time I'd say.

You need to look at the drivers tab too see which is running long.

Make sure to disable power saving features on network cards and usb select suspend.

Then check latency monitor again.

I once had a mouse that introduced an issue.

Trouble shooting this is a pain... We all agree. But i think we all do it after major machine changes including hardware and os.

Is your machine a laptop?

Thanks for your help. 

the only thing i have not test yet is disabling the power saving the network card, which I will it now .

I am not using laptop. I build the unit about 7 years ago.

By the way, I installed a fresh copy of win 8.1 on another hard drive , there is no issue but installed the windows 10 on the same hard drive, problem started to showing it self.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:41 PM, reza sadeghi said:

Thanks for any help

Updated drivers manually? (Not via Windows update)

Set CPU min max to 100%?

Disabled Intel speedstep (and possibly C-States)?

Enabled high performance power scheme?

If you have an Nvidia card - set power to "Prefer Maximum performance) in 3D settings?

14 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Updated drivers manually? (Not via Windows update)

Set CPU min max to 100%?

Disabled Intel speedstep (and possibly C-States)?

Enabled high performance power scheme?

If you have an Nvidia card - set power to "Prefer Maximum performance) in 3D settings?

Thanks. I already have done all of them but still same.

here is the latency mon result:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. 
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:19:40  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-UCDQN6E
OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 18363 (x64)
Hardware:                                             All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., SABERTOOTH Z87
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  24511 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3506 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature. 

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   3116.10
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   3.438508

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       3111.30
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1.962624

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              12.729036
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.001528
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.001565

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   350109
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              2913.868796
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.451589
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.495138

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   4073819
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                27258
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              578
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              538
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 chrome.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       244
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          77
Number of processes hit:                              14

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       69.991134
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                12.729036
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.147585
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      349973
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                2913.868796
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   46.345489
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      4012930
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       4.001150
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                3.467199
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000101
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      126
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1988.290930
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.328383
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      72494
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       3.027617
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                4.767827
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000009
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      2
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                198.719909
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.048499
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      11390
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.583222
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                6.250998
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000039
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      8
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                27.620080
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.001045
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      325
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.803244
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                36.407302
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.006912
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      2128
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.839050
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                21.018825
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.002314
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      555
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.760934
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                193.879064
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.007441
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      1862
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.683570
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                29.652025
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.00280
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      509

Usb is showing up in your report.

Are you sure that you have disabled select suspend? How about power save on usb hubs in device manager? Unplug all but your interface, mouse and keyboard. Is your keyboard wireless?

Windows key+x... Select device manager.

What is this coming from?

1 hour ago, reza sadeghi said:

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   3116.10

Edited by Gswitz