I Wanna Be Free

RexRed

Beautiful track RexRed, really like it when the strings come in. Som sounds are a bit dry to my ears, the organ in particular.

Im not a big fan of the 100% right pan you have on one guitar, it gets a bit distracting. Great vocals!!

Thanks AMiller for the really nice sentiments!

I have replaced the song up above top of page with the new version.

Kloon and Grem, you were both spot on! I moved the guitar to the center and fixed the dry vocals at the front of the song. I have added about 6 more hours work on this song.  Resung a few lines and struggled with the harmonies to get them more present. Sometimes what seems good on the drawing board simply doesn't work in practice and other methods become necessary. 

I may have more work on this it was mixed in earbuds but it still needs me to listen and set the vocals and other stuff on the big speakers (I usually do that last). 

Let me know your thoughts, even the smallest suggestion are a big help to me, thanks! RR

Great. I think it sounds really good now RR!

2 minor observations and a suggestion:

2 Mouthklicks i found distracting, one at 0:19, and one Your love is the "K"ey at 1:45.

I could be completely off but im thinking that the drums could use a tamburine on some parts to make them less static?! Just a thought. I dont know why and i cant explain but i get a tamburine feel. :)

I just uploaded and replaced it with yet another version

I think I just fixed mouthklicks, (thanks) they would nave haunted me if not fixed.

I had a lot of volume fluctuations that I fixed also.

It is getting there...

There are no drum rolls at all yet, I have been saving them for last and a tambourine here and there would be exactly what this genre calls for also. I will add some and a mellow cymbal crash here and there too.

I wish I had the female singers this song needs.

I was aiming for something a  little Jackson Brownish.  :)

I will upload something with the drum rolls and tambourine soon.

There are still a few vocal tweaks left also.

Thanks again Kloon! RR

Edited by RexRed

Rex, I've held off commenting for awhile.
It seems you take every suggestion/critique to heart and run off and change the whole tune.
Gotta "commit", print it and move on.
And remember "do as I say, not as I do"; commitment is hard...

All kidding aside, another good tune!

Tom

A new mix and mastering has replaced the file above.

Well this song is, I think, officially done (for now) hehe.

I added the tambourine,  It took me forever to find the right one, I finally settled on one from my Emulator X library,  I like how the the tambourine distracts from my voice just enough to add some variety to the song.  The tambourine also distracts from the monotony of the drums. I also added the drum rolls and a cymbal crashes.

The tom rolls are from a NI Abbey Road 80s drum kit and the cymbal sample is from Dimension Pro room kit drums.

This song has been really tough getting right. It probably still has a lot of issues but this is the best I think I can do on it for now.

I kept turning things down and turning things down until the headroom was so large that I was blasting the gain in the master section. It is not a good feeling when that happens.  

I think I will end my editing here and give it some time to simmer. 

Thanks for the help everyone, it was REALLY vital in getting this song done.

... and Deering, wise words, the suggestions were all so good I had to follow through on them. :)

Also, when I release a song on Reverbnation it is usually not done and I am at the time certain of that but I release it because it is done enough that I don't mind sharing it and getting feedback. 

After many changes and reuploads then I will put it on an album for release to IMusicianDigital (my preferred label) 

Best to you all!

Sincerely

RR

• Like 1

I liked the harmonies on the bridge a lot. What effect are you using on the lead vocal? It shimmers sometimes in a panning kind of way, so chorus? Something is modulating your lead vocal, and for me, just a bit more natural would be better. It's a great set of vocal performances, no doubt. I would expect this song, being a traditional pop-country structure, to have maybe more reverb on the vocal, and not so much chorus, if that's what it is.

Who cares about expectations of others! You've put together a good one here that can be sung to in honky tonks.

cheers,

-Tom