Half-pedaling function: using MIDI-OX to chande roland dp-10 pedal behavior with Roland A800 pro controller

Pluto Gabo

With MIDI-OX, is it possible to reprogramme a Roland DP-10 pedal with CC messages to allow for half-pedalling (or half-damper) when using a Roland A800-Pro midi controller? I don't think the A800 natively supports half-pedalling and I'm hoping MIDI-OX could provide a work around. Thanks to anyone who might have the solution!

A little Googling suggests the A-800Pro should support the continuous output of the DP-10. But whatever synth you're using also needs to support continuous/intermediate sustain message values.

You can check the pedal/keyboard functionality by recording pedal movements, and verifying you get intermedate controller values in the PRV Controller pane and/or Event List views.

Edited by David Baay

Thank you for your input David. Although the DP-10 works with the A800pro as an on/off damper, after much research, there is contradictory information as to whether continuous pedaling is supported. My synths are mostly from the NI Komplete series of pianos, for which the half-pedal requires a CC 64 controller with continuous 0 to 127 values. When I use the  MIDIOX programme, the monitor pane indicates that the DP-10 registers values between 0 and 16. Some research suggests that using MIDIOX, the 0 to 16 values can be transmitted as 0 to 127 values, which would allow for continuous pedaling. But I'm not having any luck with that approach. If anyone has resolved this particular isuue for using the DP-10 pedal with the A800pro, I would greatly appreciate your insight.

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/DP-10_eng01_W.pdf

In continuous mode, can you program NI Komplete to do half-damper with the 0-16 scale? Or, can Komplete map it to a 0-127 range? If not, perhaps one of Cakewalk's MFX [Midi FX] would help, if MIDI-OX can't rescale it. 

I have used MIDI-OX for a while, but never used this tool. If I were to try to use it to scale 0-16 to 0-127, I'd start here.  I'd try it, but I don't have anything that outputs any CC in the 0-16 range.

image.png.fbc0052c4c8d4e5a1d13ca3d4367b1ec.png

UPDATE: Yeah--that should do it!  As a test I mapped a knob on a usb keyboard [set to transmit on CC 64 (0x40 hex)] to CC 65--just as a test.  The I/O range seems to work the way you want:

image.thumb.png.ad5080a17ef2d943cfdb43326ce3fac9.png

Edited by User 905133
(2) to post a quickie test of concept screen shot and offer hope; (1) to post a shot from MIDI-OX that might be relevant