Harrison AVA Mastering EQ - crashes CbB

Chris Towers

Hi all.  Like many, I took advantage of Harrison's recent sales promotions and got a copy of their AVA Mastering EQ.  However, despite many attempts at installing, I'm unable to get the VST (2 or 3) to load in Cakewalk.  (I'm using Win7 64 bit).  The plugin will install and show in the plugin directory within Cakewalk, but every time I try and add it to a track, the DAW instantly crashes.  Whilst I have a legitimate licence, the plugin is not yet registered, because I never get the chance to enter the licence key!  Harrison say they are unaware of any issues specific to Cakewalk and have no suggested solutions.  Anyone else had the same issue ... and found a solution?  Many thanks.

I'm not really sure about the AVA plugins, but the license key for every other Harrison product is a little text file you put in a folder somewhere.   It, and the instructions for it, should be in an email. 

I have no idea if that is your issue or not. I don't have any of the AVA plugins myself; I use Mixbus for mixing,  so they would be redundant to me.

Hi Chris, as Byron stated, the plugin relies on the license.txt file provided by Harrison when you purchase it.  This file must be placed in your root folder like below.  Alternately, the plugin  allows you to just drop the file in when you first open it asks for the license which seems to be your problem.  FYI, all of my AVA plugs load without issue though I'm just using VST3 versions.

Do you have another DAW you can try it in?  That would at least allow you to activate it and verify it's working.  Other than re-installing CnB and the plug, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

AVA.JPG.8fa18b1d4c424b6dc5f5f77ec47ba99c.JPG

I had the same issues with AVA as well. I think I just sort of gave up on it working in CbB.  It seemed it worked for a short time ( I bought it originally a couple of years back ). It was a really effective plug too  - sounded great. But wasn't worth chasing it any further. Though  it's been a while, I'm going to look for the license file again just confirm that it's still in place.

At least it loads and runs fine in Cakewalk when Cakewalk is running in Windows 10.

I wish I could say that it were a reason for you to make the move from 7 to 10, but, um, not as far as I'm concerned.

When quasi-parametrics give me the choice between dragging dots around on the curve display and turning knobs, I usually wind up turning the knobs and observing the effect on the curve display (if any).

The AVA Mastering EQ kinda goes in the opposite direction where you sort of mousepaint the cuts and boosts you want around on the display until it sounds good. I can't get used to it. Or rather, I don't find its workflow compelling enough to draw me away from less annoying solutions I already have in place.

I wonder if rather than the Ozone Elements or proximity eq category of giveaways that are given because they are most likely to interest the givees in the rest of the product line, AVA Mastering EQ is in the TrueVerb category of "this thing is so idiosyncratic to use we might as well just give a bunch of licenses away and hope it develops a following, like 7th Guest."

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/17/2021 at 8:07 PM, Jaysuave said:

I'm having a rather similar problem, my ava mastering plug-in is registered and works fine until I try to close the plug-in than cakewalk freeze up and crash...

I didn't notice any problems with the EQ but I have always had same problem, you describe, with AVA Deesser. Recently I reported it to Harrison and got a reply that they have probably nailed the issue, but I have no idea when they will release the update and how to check for it.

Perhaps you should enlist the Cakewalk developers to assist in discovering why the instant crash is happening.  There are three links in my signature, one for how to capture a crash dump, one for an overlay and the third about how to submit a bug report.

Crash dump files are normally pretty large so the suggestion is to load the file to online storage and attach a link to your bug report.

Some users post a link in a new forum thread that provides issue details.

• 1 year later...

I'm just bumping this topic because I've been trying (to no avail) to get the Harrison AVA Mastering EQ to work in CbB.  It crashes everytime and freezes up CbB.

Has anyone ever found a solution?  The above replies seem to fall into the "I have the same problem" and "I don't have a problem" camps....but no-one seems to offer a solution.

Any help?