Clip Groups??

Rod L. Short

I want to edit all my drum tracks together. I have been trying to figure out how to group all the tracks/clips so any edit on one simultaneously happens on all. I cannot figure this out. I have read the Help files and tried to set up a clip group but, nothing works. I tried putting them all in a folder thinking that might do it but, it does not. How do I accomplish this??

OK, so, if i select all the drum tracks then hit "s", it does split all selected tracks. That's cool but, I have to select them all each time I want to split. I want to be able to group them all so I can make splits across all drum tracks over and over until I tell it to ungroup. Is there a way to do this?  

Hey Rod,

I put all multi tracked drums in a folder. This makes the selection process easy. A lot of videos I've seen on explaining how to edit multi tracked drums have a project with just drums, which is not always practical because typically at this point, the project is complete and only drums need to be selected. Thus you cant just use CNTRL+A to select all.  This video explains the basics.

If you work methodically from left to right, you wont have to keep selecting all drum tracks, the right portion of the track will remain selected and the left portion of the clip (which you just made your edits) becomes de-selected.

One word of caution, don't go crazy lining up every single hit to the grid. These days everything is so over quantized it sounds like machinery. It sounds almost too perfect and ruins the feel of the song (you already know this anyway). A good drum groove always fluctuates in tempo and that's what gives the groove its unique stamp like non other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

martsave martin s - Thanks

David Baay - I have tried that and can't seem to get it to work.

chuckebaby - Never need to worry about me over quantizing! You know me. You know how I do! Ha ha! Actually, most of my editing is cutting out noise between tom hits or vocal lines. I will occasionally move a drum hit if it's REALLY badly out of time /flamming, etc. Nah, I won't be over quantizing anything.

• Like 1