I Finally Did It

Starise

I bought an ilok. I know, I know, should I seek psychiatric help?

I had the software ilok and hated it. Every time I wanted to use a plug in I had to load the ilok program to launch the plug in. My vst scan always flagged those plug ins,so for the price of a cheap plug in I bought one. I dunno, shelling out clams to use something I already bought seems silly.  I think it might be more tempting now to look at ilok plug ins. Nothing holding me back. I once avoided them if there was something else non ilok that was similar.

Some people love ilok: the single account thing does sound like a plus.

I've stayed away but that's my own personal decision. I was once tempted by some EastWest libraries, but found some alternatives (that also don't use the Play engine). More recently, I've been looking for a good reverb and most of those are ilok protected; then I found out about FabFilter. It is disappointing though to see some great deals on plugins to find out they use ilok; my personal justification is that I'm just a hobbyist, and I don't need such 'pro' level plugins.

• Like 1

I just reread what I wrote above and want to clarify: I'm not in any way attempting to suggest that FabFilter's plugins aren't pro; they sound brilliant, and many other people think so too. And I'm also really glad that they don't use iLok.

I haven't used the ilok dongle yet. I already have some plugins that use ilok cloud. One would think that  this is the perfect solution. I thought so too, only when the cloud dials up the ilok server my software and DAW all of a sudden were slowed down. I have a fast computer and this was only using one ilok plugin. I don't have any other issues even remotely similar with this computer. The cloud worked ok but I could tell things were slowed down as soon as I loaded the plug.

With the dongle I don't believe there is nearly as much interference going on. It just looks for the license, sees it and moves on. The cloud pings the ilok server every 6 minutes. If it looses connection it will throw up a warning that the plugin isn't recognized or needs to be registered.

I really like the McDSP ML4000. I know it's been around awhile but it does a few things in combination the others don't.  I picked it up for a good price. Tired of having to boot up the ilok cloud to use it and Cakewalk hanging on it every time I scan.  I like the Softube plug ins but I think they are locked to Presonus.

I like PSP Xenon which is ilok. Some pretty good East West deals show up now and then. I am curious about Slate's stuff.......but honestly I would buy the ilok just for the 4L4000. Here's shot of my ilok plug in licenses so far in the cloud. Nothing too spectacular but some of them are decent, especially the softube plug ins.

plugs1.JPG

Edited by Starise
  • Like 1