Can You Use Two ACT MIDI Controllers at the Same Time?

Craig Anderton

I suspect the answer is no,  but wanted to make sure.  I'm using ACT to allow an NI Komplete keyboard to control several DAW functions (Play, Loop on/off, Stop, etc.). The NI controller has three different MIDI outs (standard, external, and DAW); the ACT MIDI Controller requires the MIDI DAW output from the Komplete keyboard for (apparently) any DAW functions  other than Play and Stop. I can control the NKS plug-ins  as expected, and also, I can use the hardware knobs to control any non-NKS synths that have MIDI Learn.

However, it seems that controlling  (for example) the SI instruments, which don't have MIDI Learn, require being controlled via ACT but they need the standard MIDI Keyboard as the MIDI In, not the MIDI DAW . I've tried using one ACT MIDI Controller for the DAW functions and another for the Cakewalk effects and SI instruments, but they don't seem to get along.  When changing presets on  one ACT controller changed parameters in the other ACT controller. I figure they were not designed to play nicely together. But if anyone has used two ACT MIDI Controllers successfully to control different things, I'd like to hear about it.

Hi:)

Perhaps it's not what you want to hear, but I have a BCR2000 and a Novation LaunchControl in conjunction with AZController working perfect together! Novation for ACT, BCR for normal operations and with BCR additional ACT Controllers, so that I can access 8x24 Rotors, 8x8 Sliders and 8x16 Knobs on Novation and additionally 48 Rotors, 16 Sliders and 32 knobs on BCR for ACT or other functions... (for sure not needed)

You should only have different Midi CCs on both......so the same Midi CCs for ACT and normal functions will not work. Perhaps if you can send a different MidiChannel or send this Midiport to Loopmidi for example and change the CCs and then use LoopMidi in to Cakewalk for other functions.

Should be possible...

EDIT: You can remap CCs with MidiOX, so let the DAW Out like it is and remap the CCs from the Standard or External MidiOut with MidiOX and send it to Cakewalk...

Greetz,

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer

22 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

When changing presets on  one ACT controller changed parameters in the other ACT controller.

I am not sure you mean that, but there is one bug with "presets" and just one ACT mapping per plug-in.

If you have 2 ACT MIDI (or Generic, or any other) instances, they share the same ACT plug-in mapping table ("ACT Learn").

They both show the same "preset name". But you can use them with different presets, just be careful when saving and never save preset when both GUIs are open.

9 hours ago, azslow3 said:

I am not sure you mean that, but there is one bug with "presets" and just one ACT mapping per plug-in.

If you have 2 ACT MIDI (or Generic, or any other) instances, they share the same ACT plug-in mapping table ("ACT Learn").

They both show the same "preset name". But you can use them with different presets, just be careful when saving and never save preset when both GUIs are open.

That's exactly the information I needed! Thank you very much. It explains the behavior I'm seeing.

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to use my Novation Impulse and Logidy UMI3 at the same time.  When I select ACT 1 (Impulse) with the Logidy configured, I cannot find my previous Impulse file - the name is no longer on the list and I cannot configure things like Volume Sliders.

Any ideas?