How to set default hardware port output?

Brion Bell

Question

Hi, all!
I'm a Sonar user since version 5...  (In other words, I'm a senior user...  LOL!!!)
I'm using a multi-channel audio interface, the Yamaha TF3 digital mixing desk for recording; and even though it processes at 48Khz, the sound is amazing!  Here's the thing though.... 
In CW, the Yamaha/Steinberg ASIO driver exposes itself in detail to allow me to select, configure, and use multiple OUTPUT (hardware), [Edit/Preferences/Audio...].  If I place checks in the boxes for more than the 'main' outputs, (let's just say they are '1&2 Out' for descriptive purposes), and include outputs 3&4 and 5&6, every new session defaults to output ports 5&6, or always the LAST numbers in the list.  This causes some issues...
Whenever I open CW with an existing project, or with a new project, the 'Master' BUS ALWAYS configures itself to be output on the 'last-numbered' hardware ports!  Then, when I try to play the project, I realize that I'm not hearing anything, because, (using the example above...), there is nothing actually connected to ports '5&6.'  So then, I ust go to the MASTER BUS and configure it to route the audio to (the original) ports of 1&2.  
The solution as I see it, would be to be able to 'hard' configure the output port of the MASTER BUS to ALWAYS use the 1&2 hardware ports.
Thanks for help!
Brion

2 answers to this question

So you're not changing what's enabled in the Yamaha's control panel app, only changing what's checked in Cakewalk's Audio Devices?  I haven't encountered that when enabling/disabling ports on my MOTU either way. Cakewalk recently added a default input assignment for new tracks IIRC, but tracks and buses in existing projects and templates should 'remember' their assignments based on the port name initially exposed by the driver to the O/S and saved in AUD.INI.  I would think the only time a default output would apply would be when starting from the BLANK template with no existing tracks or buses.

Not sure if this a Cakewalk settings issue or an audio card software issue. I have 4 stereo outs enabled and new buses get assigned to the first one.

I do recall that there was (and possibly still is) some interaction between my card's software and Cakewalk.  The advice way back when was to make sure the ASIO channels are setup and available in my card's software first so that SONAR can access them properly.  Not sure that's required now.  It might be that once its setup, the required info is in an *.ini file [AUD.INI?].

Just a thought pending other replies; I defer to others who are more knowledgeable than me on this issue.

UPDATE: I don't think my observation (about possible interaction between the audio card's software and Cakewalk) is pertinent to your situation.  I did a test by (1) deleting AUD.INI and (2) deleting the ASIO 1/2 strip from my card's software. Cakewalk still picked up my first output port and sent audio to it; however, my software was not able to send it to my selected output since there wasn't a strip for it in the card's software.  As for creating a Master bus from a new, blank template, Cakewalk did indeed direct it to my card's first "hardware output." 

Edited by User 905133
(3) pix deleted - not useful (2) to report results of a test that make my observation useless;(1) to change "it" to "them"