Rain

Anders Madsen

Hello Anders ,  You did a Fantastic job of recording and mixing the acoustic , that was the best I've heard in a long time. Your vocals are Very nice an well polished , and the video itself was well done. The only glitch was your vocal became buried when the drums came in. They came back in when you kicked in the harmony then fell back out again. Hard to tell on this laptop but it had the sound of being over compressed in the quiet parts ..  If I couldn't get it fixed with vocal automation or lowering the drums , This is one I would try sidechaining  a comp. to the drums triggered by the vocals , (mainly for the sheer fun of editing for hours on end).  Great job , Very impressive.                mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did not check it out on laptop speakers. I have no such experience on the Yamaha monitors.
I have no clue on how to mix for iPhones, tablets or laptops. I've read an article about it, but it did not stick. I'm way to  old school.
Thanks a bunch for your input, Mark.  :) 

Man oh man, Mark is right; that is a top notch performance!
Now the niggles, if that's ok.
The band is way too loud, put them on a buss named SUBMIX and pull the fader down 3db at least.
That vocal is Way Too Pretty (and the Martin as well), to hide in the mix;  its not "lost" but, the band is walking all over it.

Tom

"Pretty" is a term we Baritones use to describe natural Tenors, because we are jealous...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Anders.
What a beautiful voice you have.
If I had not seen the video I would have imagined you to be a younger man.
Really cool dress style  🙂

Guitar and vocal are nicely recorded.
Dont be shy to bring your voice more forward in your mix.

Well done.

• Like 1

I stopped watching the video so I could concentrate on the song (lovely) the vocal (amazingly clear) and the guitar work (beautiful). The mix of it all ain't too bad, I listened on my studio monitors. When the drums came in, they were just a bit of a letdown in their quality, it didn't quite match the level of your awesome voice and guitar. What did you use for drums? I dunno, that's a subjective thing. You might dig those drums!

I really enjoyed your song (via Uriah Heep is it?) and the clarity of that mix was outstanding. For me, however, the video  doesn't really authentically sell your song. I guess I would expect visuals, cutaways, scenes in a montage, etc. for this type of song. But to each their own. Those performance vids are a breed unto themselves and one needs to accept the limitations of a static shot, I reckon.

You picked a great tune and did a great job of the rendition, and again, you have an amazing voice and guitar style. I look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Beautiful. You don't need anything more than your voice and guitar really, but the video is a plus. And I liked the one static shot in the video which gives the viewer another emotional dimension to the song. I like your smile at the end too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emeraldsoul said:

I stopped watching the video so I could concentrate on the song (lovely) the vocal (amazingly clear) and the guitar work (beautiful). The mix of it all ain't too bad, I listened on my studio monitors. When the drums came in, they were just a bit of a letdown in their quality, it didn't quite match the level of your awesome voice and guitar. What did you use for drums? I dunno, that's a subjective thing. You might dig those drums!

I really enjoyed your song (via Uriah Heep is it?) and the clarity of that mix was outstanding. For me, however, the video  doesn't really authentically sell your song. I guess I would expect visuals, cutaways, scenes in a montage, etc. for this type of song. But to each their own. Those performance vids are a breed unto themselves and one needs to accept the limitations of a static shot, I reckon.

You picked a great tune and did a great job of the rendition, and again, you have an amazing voice and guitar style. I look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

cheers,

-Tom

I'm using toontrack drums. Choosing the kit is allways a challenge for me, and most of the times, I'm sure there is a better choice in there. Plus they rarely get any attention other than their preset mix and volume.
Yes, Ken Hensley of Uriah heep.  :) 
Shooting b-roll for such a thing can be a real chore, so unless I get an obvious idea, I don't prioritize it. Video is mostly there so I can put it on facebook. :) 
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your input.

1 hour ago, bjornpdx said:

Beautiful. You don't need anything more than your voice and guitar really, but the video is a plus. And I liked the one static shot in the video which gives the viewer another emotional dimension to the song. I like your smile at the end too.

1000 takk!   :) 

Hi Anders, I'm listening on the cheapest of laptops and the mix, your guitar and voice all sound great to me. I may have to go listen to this again on real speakers. Excellent vocal and guitar. Long ago I used to play some Uriah Heap songs in a cover band but I don't remember them doing anything as beautiful as this tune. Extra points for the bowler, too!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed that...  as others said, the guitar and vocals alone were easily enough to carry the song, but I understand why you would add the additional tracks.  If I had to make one suggestion on that front I'd pick a snare that is less "poppy/snappy" and maybe slightly lower in pitch.  IOW, one that cuts thru a bit less, leaving room for those vocals and acoustic that really are so well done.

• Like 1