Armadillos for Amarillo

Michael McBroom

This is a fairly straight-up rock-flavored instrumental. What makes it somewhat unusual is the solo instrument -- classical guitar. Other instruments include electric piano, voices, a minimally invasive horn section, bass, and drums.

This piece was composed in Band in a Box, but arranged, produced, mixed, and recorded in Sonar Platinum. It was freshly remixed in CWbBL.

No armadillos were harmed in the creation of this music.

https://soundcloud.com/michaelmcbroom/armadillos-for-amarillo

Edited by Michael McBroom

Cool chords there. I liked the echoey roundwound slappy bass with the reverb, I think it cut through nicely. You might take the ssss-y stuff that's panned hard right and left down just a hair in your mix, and the very beginning could use a half second of air time before the tune begins, it starts a little abruptly.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks, Mark!

Tom, you should have heard the older arrangement! I dialed the highs down a lot with the new mix. But you're saying they could come down a bit more, eh? Okay, I'll give it a listen. I'm still nt entirely happy with this new mix. The guitar has been a real challenge, getting it to come out sounding halfway decent, and there are places where it still has too much highs.

I agree with you completely about the sudden start. In fact, I've found that, at SoundCloud, if a piece just jumps right in at 0,0 that the first half a beat or so often gets truncated off the beginning. That is SoundCloud's fault, though, not mine. But I've also found that, even if I insert some dead air before a piece starts, while it will get rid of the truncation, there's still that abrupt beginning that hits. So I've begun to think of ways that I can ease into the beginning of a piece, anywhere from inserting an Intro to maybe just playing with the initial volume. I appreciate your feedback.