JS Bach: Air on a G String

Michael McBroom

Johann Sebastian Bach's Orchestral Suite in D Major (BWV 1068) contains the famous Air, known as Air on a G String. This world famous piece is beautiful just as is, written for two violins, viola, and cello. But I couldn't resist playing around with the instrumentation and giving the tune a more modern twist. The two violins and viola are synth voices -- a close analog to an organ for the solo voice, and sweep pads for the 2nd violin and viola. The cello part is a clarinet. This is just my first attempt at alternate voicing for this tune.

This piece was arranged, produced, mixed and recorded entirely within Cakewalk Sonar Platinum.

https://soundcloud.com/michaelmcbroom/air-on-a-g-string?in=michaelmcbroom/sets/classical-and-baroque

Edited by Michael McBroom
  • Like 1

That really is an interesting arrangement and very well done. If I was to be allowed a couple of nits or suggestions, it would be that the timing doesn't feel entirely natural in places - especially where there are grace notes - sounds like it has been slightly over-quantized. The second suggestion would be to add a little more light and shade in the instruments, especially in varying the individual levels. 

All that said, you did a great job with this.

Andy

Hi Andrew, I appreciate the feedback. When I arranged the Air, I was in the middle of composing and arranging a bunch of my own music, and I did this arrangement almost as a reprieve from my regular activities. I don't recall putting much into it, to be honest. I used a utility called PhotoScore & NotateMe to translate the file from pdf to MIDI and I don't recall having to play around much with timing. I just let it be. Now, it's been my experience in the past that this utility often does not copy from pdf to MIDI faithfully, so it might be worth a closer look. And I agree about giving the instrumentation a little closer attention. Back when I arranged that piece, which was not quite two years ago, I knew much less than I know now about arranging in CW. The inner voices could definitely stand to be brought more to the fore.

I write also, and there's an old truism about writing, and that is a book is never finished being edited until it reaches the printer. I think the same thing applies to arranging music. I listen now to tunes that I put together not even a year ago, and I see places where they could be improved. The only thing that stops me from going back over other pieces I've arranged and written is I have a full plate of current projects that need my attention more.

Oh, and have a Happy New Year!

Edited by Michael McBroom

1 hour ago, Michael McBroom said:

I write also, and there's an old truism about writing, and that is a book is never finished being edited until it reaches the printer. I think the same thing applies to arranging music. I listen now to tunes that I put together not even a year ago, and I see places where they could be improved. The only thing that stops me from going back over other pieces I've arranged and written is I have a full plate of current projects that need my attention more.

Agree with those sentiments entirely.

That's a neat bit of software. The only thing I have seen similar is Guitar Pro that will 'play' active gpx tab files but the ensuing results are usually terrible - though generally just about good enough to help if you're trying to learn a piece from scratch.

Whatever you're doing - I would say keep doing it. How about the infamous Prelude in C Major - I'd be interested to hear your take on that?

Andy

I used to play a guitar transcription of the Prelude in C Major. Not a bad idea, actually. I can hear a few symphonic parts in it as I listen to it. Then there's also Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, the Toccata and Fugue in Dm, and many others.

I've never messed with Guitar Pro. Sounds forgettable enough. If I have a chord progression to work with, I've had better luck with using Band in a Box to assemble a working copy of a piece, or a backing track.