2019.12 Feedback

Morten Saether

8 minutes ago, AxlBrutality said:

Speaking of clip fade issues and such...I was curious.  This may be an intentional feature, but a few months ago, Cakewalk started auto-fading the entire clip if I cut/copy and paste a section in a way that cut off sound.  The problem here is that it's an awful lot of work to undo a fade on a clip that's a minute+ long (particularly common when I'm in the writing stages and just copy/pasting song sections), especially considering that Cakewalk isn't the smoothest when it comes to continuous scrolling (I often have to start/stop/start again to get CbB to continue scrolling....another issue perhaps?).  Anyway, is this a feature that I can turn off?   I remember disabling some auto-fade function somewhere in the preferences, but it didn't fix the issue.

Auto crossfades should only happen when autocross fade is enabled:

image.png.418cf9816dd933bf80c2056e565845ee.png

If cross fades are being created with auto cross-fade disabled, please share the steps to reproduce.

• Like 2

I have to say that up to 2019.9 CbB has been reliable despite its well know quirts and workaround.  Since installed 2019.9 I continue to have work stoppage issues.  The only change is that when force to update Bandlab Assistant, I think that it also installed an update Microsoft Visual C++ 2017.  I'm on Window 7 pro.  Last resort I will do a system restore.

Couple of the new (recent) issues are:

1. Clip gain envelope does not consistently work.  You can raise and lower, but it doesn't follow the nodes.  Moving the clip to another lane would allow it to work once.  toggle another clip (at the same timeline) would allow it to work sometimes.  CbB has long standing issue with envelop not working if moving the clip to another lane.  Now with the changes in lane, maybe the old issue is the underlying culprit.

2. Midi track drop-out in playback when there is an External Insert in the mix bus.  I never have issue with Midi ever going back to Sonar8.5.  Perhaps this is related to the new audio/asio driver change and somehow midi not tracking under some condition.

Then there is situation where a clip can not be split no matter what but the undo history recorded that splits were done; 

If you bounce multiple clips into one, sometimes not all of the selected clips got bounced.  Probably some conflicting rules in the codes.

2019.12 probably helps stabilize in some areas but the issue I been having still persist.

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Auto crossfades should only happen when autocross fade is enabled:

image.png.418cf9816dd933bf80c2056e565845ee.png

If cross fades are being created with auto cross-fade disabled, please share the steps to reproduce.

So that's what that button is, lol.   I was wondering.

It's disabled, but I also can't reproduce the issue anymore, so I'm presuming I accidentally hit it at some point.  Idk.  I'll report back with specifics if it happens again.

On 12/31/2019 at 6:03 PM, Morten Saether said:

Hi all - please use this topic to post feedback specific to 2019.12. Release-specific feedback is valuable to us, and consolidating it in a single topic is extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!

2019.12 Release Notes

As you no longer support win 7 do you recommend that those with win 7 should no longer install any updates?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@al11588 If you get random distortion it would seem to be a system load issue. One cause of distortion is when the driver isn't getting buffers processed in time. If you are running at low latency and have a heavy project this is more likely to stress the system. 
Please be more specific about when you saw this issue and which update you first noticed it. It is most likely completely unrelated to anything changed in recent updates.

Hello Noel,

Sorry for not being specific. I have been having the issue since build 2019.03. I emailed Bandlab support Ashwin about the issue on Jun 17, 2019. When I record music with the LP-64 Multiband VST version 19.0.0.36, it gets static all the time. I had to find the older version of the VST which is version 17.0.0.2.9 that runs fine one day and outputs static another day. When I brought up that I am using a Windows insider build 18980, Ashwin told me they don’t test Insider builds. It has been a lot of months since that insider build, and still, the issue persists in build 19536. My projects are not big, only using two to three-track lanes. I don’t see any abnormalities in terms of my ram usage since I use 32 GB of ram.

I also posted this question in Q&A section, but it may be related to the new version of CbB.  Any ideas?

Hi all,

I still find good old V-Vocal useful for some specific things concerning vocals, IMO it does certain things that Melodyne cannot do.  

Seems V-Vocal is a 32 bit plug-in, but did run on CbB.  The V-Vocal panel would appear at the bottom, but you could not "float" it to another screen, so that was another issue that I learned to live with. Now, V-Vocal does not run at all on CbB latest version.  I have 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Sonar X1, X2 and X3 installed, and V-Vocal works as it should on both X1 and X2 32-bit programs.

My system is fully updated Windows 7 Pro x64.  

Can anyone help with this?
TIA,

Wade 

NW Illinois

16 hours ago, Alvin Lawson said:

Hello Noel,

Sorry for not being specific. I have been having the issue since build 2019.03. I emailed Bandlab support Ashwin about the issue on Jun 17, 2019. When I record music with the LP-64 Multiband VST version 19.0.0.36, it gets static all the time. I had to find the older version of the VST which is version 17.0.0.2.9 that runs fine one day and outputs static another day. When I brought up that I am using a Windows insider build 18980, Ashwin told me they don’t test Insider builds. It has been a lot of months since that insider build, and still, the issue persists in build 19536. My projects are not big, only using two to three-track lanes. I don’t see any abnormalities in terms of my ram usage since I use 32 GB of ram.

Alvin,

I would avoid using mixing/mastering plugins when tracking.  Especially ones using look-ahead.  I personally try to avoid all plugins when tracking.

Edited by kzmaier

Re: 2019.12 Feedback

So far things seem OK, but there is one small issue I noticed since this update.

I've used ctrl+s to save for longer than I can remember. Now when I do that, when there have been no changes since the last save, when I go to exit the project, I am prompted by CW if I want to save the project y/n?

Just kind of weird.

On 1/5/2020 at 5:22 PM, paulo said:

As you no longer support win 7 do you recommend that those with win 7 should no longer install any updates?

@paulo As a result of Microsoft discontinuing Windows 7 support, we will no longer officially support Windows 7. It should be fine to update CbB until further notice, but we highly recommend you upgrade to Windows 10.

• Meh 1

1 hour ago, Morten Saether said:

@paulo As a result of Microsoft discontinuing Windows 7 support, we will no longer officially support Windows 7. It should be fine to update CbB until further notice, but we highly recommend you upgrade to Windows 10.

Thanks for replying Morten. I understand your reasons but I don't intend to inflict the pain of a new pc installation upon myself  until I really have to - ie when the current one dies - so just seeking clarification re the software and win 7. If cakewalk stops working in win7 before it dies then so be it. I will remain at whatever version is the last until I am forced to change the pc.

• Like 1

Hi,

I would like to share my experience with 2019.12 after quite some hours of working with it on several projects. I am on W7 64bit with a Focusrite Clarett interface.

My focus is on low latency performance in order to run in everything 'live', synth plugins and even processed vocals and mastering  effects. The latest Focusrite ASIO drivers allow on my i7 computer a good performance (11ms round trip delay) at a buffer size of 96 samples. With the .12 release I see an improvement, meaning that projects now run without audio corruption that required freezing on earlier releases. That is actually a great thing for me! Thanks for working in this area!

The performance module shows now a more equal spreading of the processing on the 4 physical cores. You made some big changes in this area from .11 to .12  right? Important finding: In order to get the best performance I had to switch on the load balancing feature for plugins. I never did this before because it always made things worse. Now it seems to be necessary!

One reproducable bug has been introduced by your changes which is reducing my fun with .12 a little bit:

The audio engine stops with an immediate dropout if I start a midi recording with a metronome count in in the middle of a song. The only workaround I found so far is to disable the count in. At the beginning of the song there is no issue. It would be great if you could have a look at this use case. I would be available to assist with further information if required.

Thanks again for the ASIO improvements in .12. Great job!

Best regards,

Peter

• Thanks 1

Slightly off topic, but perhaps relevant considering the number of posts continuing to pop up in the feedback threads (and in bug threads in general).  This is not directed towards any one person, and is something that has been said elsewhere recently by others, but yea.

I will never understand people who cling for dear life to Windows 7, and then are surprised or dismayed when there are bugs or things that don't work with high-powered software such as DAWs when under load.

You are using an OS which is over ten years (and several versions) old, in a day and age where technology, development, and coding literally changes every month.

I get it.  Change is hard and scary.  But it's absolutely necessary and something I think older folks here are having a hard time accepting.

It's 2020.  Just upgrade to W10 and get it out of the way.  It's not going to get any easier to adapt, change, and work out the kinks with your stuff, the longer you wait. And I can guarantee you'll have far fewer issues with bugs, incompatibilities, etc.

The world is not going to wait for you. And frankly, it's not Cakewalk's (or anyone else's) responsibility to continue testing in W7 or trying to track down bugs in it.  It's a waste of time and resources (especially for smaller dev teams) better spent improving the software for the other 95% of us who stay current with our configurations.

And most of the excuses people often use really aren't valid anymore, or were never really rooted in fact in the first place.

Sorry, just really needed to get that off my chest...and frankly, some people need to hear it.

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 2

6 hours ago, Morten Saether said:

Thanks for the info, didn't know that.  As long as Bandlab supports CbB on Win7, I'm ok, so please support it for another couple years.  MS regular updates are the culprits to many of my woes, and my workstation is only on the internet for CbB updates, so I don;t need all that securities updates mess.  Typically I would buy a new system as upgrading an existing system has always been problematic and frustrating. 

Just the thought of having to upgrading all plug-ins, soundcard drivers, and spending weeks working through issues, yikes.

• Thanks 1

Hello Cakewalk-Team,

thank you very much for offering CbB for free.

I am switching from LMMS because I do like your GUI-Concept very much.

I started with 2019.12 build 26, Win 10 64 AMD Ryzen 9 3900 (that's my video editing machine)

I set up a small project (two instruments, VST VCO2 or other lib) and some musical notes. Everything works fine... BUT...

I can't load the saved project. When trying to open the project, CbB is closed without any message. It just disapears.

Am I doing s.th. wrong?

Are there any logfiles I can send to you? Do you need the project file for tracing the problem? 

Btw: I am senior software developer, so I assume i know what you might need ;-)

best regards

Peter

This is specific to 2019.12:

As I mentioned earlier I have issue with Midi dropping out starting with 2019.11.  The midi buffer default value in my config, for as long I as have used Cake, is 200msec.

In 2019.12, since there was a changed in midi buffer recently I played with the setting and increased by 50msec (250, 300, 350, 400) for each test case.  when the buffer set at 400msec, there's no drop out.

fwiw apparently the new midi 'auto buffer' requires the buffer to be set much higher (twice?) and not automatic as stated.

My question is then is there any negative impact if the buffer is set too high?

On 1/6/2020 at 8:19 PM, razor7music said:

Re: 2019.12 Feedback

So far things seem OK, but there is one small issue I noticed since this update.

I've used ctrl+s to save for longer than I can remember. Now when I do that, when there have been no changes since the last save, when I go to exit the project, I am prompted by CW if I want to save the project y/n?

Just kind of weird.

Well, guess I'm the only one. As an update, if I hit ctrl+s and save the project and then try to close CW 1 second later, I'm still prompted if I want to save the project. :-(

On 1/7/2020 at 4:07 PM, AxlBrutality said:

snip ... I will never understand people who cling for dear life to Windows 7, and then are surprised or dismayed when there are bugs.  snip ... It's 2020.  Just upgrade to W10 and get it out of the way.  snip ...

@AxlBrutality  On the one hand your comment is absolutely correct and justified, especially considering Windows 7 supports ends shortly.  But there is a BIG difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 no one mentions and that is the difference in support that each operating system was and is provided by Microsoft and the support each operating system provides to hardware and devices.

Windows 7 service pack 1 was released February, 2011 with support ending January, 2020 so the  lifespan was almost nine years.  Each build of Windows 10 receives support for 18 months.  Windows 7 has an extensive hardware driver base including the overwhelming majority of audio interfaces built to date.  Each build of Windows 10 drops support for hardware devices.  Just because Windows 10 presently supports my computer hardware and accessories doesn't guarantee my hardware and accessories will continue to be supported in the near future.  The planned obsolescence path Microsoft and hardware manufacturers are following does not inspire my confidence I can purchase a computer or accessory that I can continue to use long term.

I'd love to continue this discussion in another thread or by private message so this thread can go back on topic.

• Like 5
  • Meh 1