2019.12 Feedback

Morten Saether

I updated to 2019.12.26 yesterday (from 2019.09) via Bandlab Assistant and it seems to work fine. I tried a few of my bigger projects and all OK so far 👍

The only installation anomaly was with Bandlab Assistant which decided to log me out half way through the Cakewalk update download. I logged back in and it continued from where it left off and installed the new version of Cakewalk okay.

FYI I enabled Plug-In Load Balancing a while back as I was getting spiking on a single CPU core most of the time. The load has been much more evenly spread since I did this. 

Thanks and Happy New Year to Bakers and all at Bandlab.

• Thanks 2

I want to update very badly, but I'm a bit scared after reading about the problems with 2019.11.  I will wait a bit to see if anything crops up that might be a problem, especially since you can't revert to an earlier version that is stable.  However, I will update when I am less afraid.

• Like 1

What would be most useful information for me is, if all the recent issues with crackling and performance issues where people had to adjust their asio buffers to much higher values to be able to play their projects, is resolved or not. We don't have much response back if the issues are gone now or not.

Just updated to 2019.12 yesterday and all of my projects are playing back with a ton of "bit crush" sounding distortion. I'm running through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. No noticeable issues on Ableton or any other applications.

Edit: Read the thread and saw someone mention increasing buffer. That solved the distortion issue, but it's going to be nearly impossible to record MIDI with that amount of latency.

Edited by Wesley

16 hours ago, Wesley said:

Just updated to 2019.12 yesterday and all of my projects are playing back with a ton of "bit crush" sounding distortion. I'm running through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. No noticeable issues on Ableton or any other applications.

Edit: Read the thread and saw someone mention increasing buffer. That solved the distortion issue, but it's going to be nearly impossible to record MIDI with that amount of latency.

@Wesley we're testing Focusrite devices and not seeing any such issues. What prior version of Cakewalk did you update from  and what buffer size are you running at?

Also what version of the 2i2 do you have and have you updated the latest drivers?

So I am using a Lynx Aurora with thunderbolt connection.  Is it fairly safe to try out the latest update to Bandlab Cakewalk?  Is it likely that the posts are mainly people having issues?  Thank you, Noel, for all your great work through the years!!!

@Noel.  If you have an External Insert, on a bus in my case, and Midi track, the midi playback would drop out intermittently.  Reproduce by stop-start the project a few times and it will eventually occurred.  Will occur in audio export also. This issue occurs in the previous release also (2019.11)

I have been the distortion issue for a while. The distortion comes up randomly when I record then I have to rerecord. I am using the ESI juli@ xte recording in 192khz sample rate. It has been super annoying to change buffer sizes to see if that fixes the issue. I thought it was an XLR cord issue so I bought a new one and the issue persists.

On 1/3/2020 at 10:39 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Wesley we're testing Focusrite devices and not seeing any such issues. What prior version of Cakewalk did you update from  and what buffer size are you running at?

Also what version of the 2i2 do you have and have you updated the latest drivers?

@Noel Borthwick thanks for the quick response - gotta say that I've been extremely impressed with the Bandlab team's thoughtful updates and service to users. Updated from the last update (2019.11 I believe), which didn't have any issues that I noticed.

My Focusrite drivers were outdated. I went ahead and installed the latest drivers and that fixed the issue! Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this was updated in the previous hotfix, nit the latest update, so apologies if that's the case. Either way, it's still the same in the current version:

The new split behaviour, that creates a crossfade on a split is cool. However, it doesn't follow the default selected crossfade for most crossfade options. For example, I generally use "Slow out, fast in", and that becomes "fast out, fast in" when splitting. The first couple of options work ok, but the rest give different (wrong) results.

Is this just me, or has anyone else seen this?

14 hours ago, John T said:

I think this was updated in the previous hotfix, nit the latest update, so apologies if that's the case. Either way, it's still the same in the current version:

The new split behaviour, that creates a crossfade on a split is cool. However, it doesn't follow the default selected crossfade for most crossfade options. For example, I generally use "Slow out, fast in", and that becomes "fast out, fast in" when splitting. The first couple of options work ok, but the rest give different (wrong) results.

Is this just me, or has anyone else seen this?

@John T - thank's for pointing this out. It looks like it's using the fade-in curve for both fade-in and fade-out. I'll make sure it's fixed for the next version.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, al11588 said:

I have been the distortion issue for a while. The distortion comes up randomly when I record then I have to rerecord. I am using the ESI juli@ xte recording in 192khz sample rate. It has been super annoying to change buffer sizes to see if that fixes the issue. I thought it was an XLR cord issue so I bought a new one and the issue persists.

@al11588 If you get random distortion it would seem to be a system load issue. One cause of distortion is when the driver isn't getting buffers processed in time. If you are running at low latency and have a heavy project this is more likely to stress the system. 
Please be more specific about when you saw this issue and which update you first noticed it. It is most likely completely unrelated to anything changed in recent updates.

Speaking of clip fade issues and such...I was curious.  This may be an intentional feature, but a few months ago, Cakewalk started auto-fading the entire clip if I cut/copy and paste a section in a way that cut off sound.  The problem here is that it's an awful lot of work to undo a fade on a clip that's a minute+ long (particularly common when I'm in the writing stages and just copy/pasting song sections), especially considering that Cakewalk isn't the smoothest when it comes to continuous scrolling (I often have to start/stop/start again to get CbB to continue scrolling....another issue perhaps?).  Anyway, is this a feature that I can turn off?   I remember disabling some auto-fade function somewhere in the preferences, but it didn't fix the issue.

Edited by AxlBrutality