CbB Updated

cclarry

5 hours ago, Toddskins said:

And every aspect of Windows 10, sacrifices your privacy.  Spying is in every single facet of the software and attempting to "cut it off", you might as well never buy into it.   From Alexa the assistant to the browsing habits to the automatic updates evaluating what you "need" and don't need, and I've read other sites that give a better list than I can from memory.

If this is such a concern for you just plug your win/cakewalk system off the internet/wifi and if you need to update your software like Cakewalk do so via download drom another on line systems onto a USB Stick.

Or at minimum have your system online for limited periods.

18 hours ago, Promidi said:

Definitely not happening with most who have updated

What did Cakewalk support say when you contacted them about this? 

No, not yet. I'm seeing if I can use an older version of PLAY, as this is now what is causing all of problems. New Update of CWB and PLAY don't like each other. 

8 hours ago, Toddskins said:

And every aspect of Windows 10, sacrifices your privacy.  Spying is in every single facet of the software and attempting to "cut it off", you might as well never buy into it.   From Alexa the assistant to the browsing habits to the automatic updates evaluating what you "need" and don't need, and I've read other sites that give a better list than I can from memory.

I hate to tell you this but if you have a smartphone, the same thing is going on. It's listening to you right now so it can use keywords to advertise to you better. Likewise, Google is spying on you every time you make a search, many programs send data back to their servers, Apple sends the same type of data to it's servers, if you have Facebook or use Amazon, your whole argument against Windows 10 gets thrown out the window, the list goes on.

As Promidi stated, the telemetry stuff can be turned off. It takes only a couple minutes to do and you can go deeper than the options if you wish and turn more off but you start to lose functionality which if you're not using a lot of that stuff, won't really matter. Automatic updates can likely be deferred or if you're brave, turned off completely though I would recommend keeping security updates on either way.

Also, firewalls are wonderful things.

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

Unfortunately, their test plan doesn't include use cases where apps such as Facebook are open, or the phone is in use; only where they

Close all apps on the device, disable automatic app updates, and lock the phones

The results may or may not differ, but it would be interesting to include that test case.

28 minutes ago, antler said:

Unfortunately, their test plan doesn't include use cases where apps such as Facebook are open, or the phone is in use; only where they

If you actually believe this, that the solution is simple.  Don't install the Facebook App.  If you also believe this, then you also have to believe this about many other apps that require access permission to your phone's microphone.

Even with the official Facebook APP installed, the Facebook App does not listen to your conversations all the time.  If it did, can you imagine how fast your battery would drain and how much data would be required for it to do that..?   Being the user of a DAW (with your knowledge of how much space audio data actually takes) you should be in a better position to release that.

I was commenting on the completeness of their test cases - not whether or not any app (I took Facebook as an example) is spying.

30 minutes ago, Promidi said:

If you actually believe this, that the solution is simple.  Don't install the Facebook App.  If you also believe this, then you also have to believe this about many other apps that require access permission to your phone's microphone.

I don't use Facebook. And honestly I don't know whether other apps are spying on me: I don't actively believe they are, but I wouldn't be surprised if I found out they were.

33 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Even with the official Facebook APP installed, the Facebook App does not listen to your conversations all the time.

I didn't say it was spying on me all the time. I didn't even suggest it was spying at any time. I was saying the test cases in that article were lacking in completeness.

38 minutes ago, Promidi said:

If it did, can you imagine how fast your battery would drain and how much data would be required for it to do that..?   Being the user of a DAW (with your knowledge of how much space audio data actually takes) you should be in a better position to release that.

That's a very good point: as you say, both battery life and data usage would be significantly affected. With all of this security scrutiny going on, it would be a very silly thing to do. I didn't once actively suggest that the Facebook app is spying. However, Facebook did sell/release phone numbers that were supposed to be used only for 2FA to marketing.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:54 PM, TerraSin said:

I hate to tell you this but if you have a smartphone, the same thing is going on. It's listening to you right now so it can use keywords to advertise to you better. Likewise, Google is spying on you every time you make a search, many programs send data back to their servers, Apple sends the same type of data to it's servers, if you have Facebook or use Amazon, your whole argument against Windows 10 gets thrown out the window, the list goes on.

aka "surveillance capitalism"

pwalpwal I can't deny the inevitable. I reckon there is no getting around it. I have no less than 4 Alexa devices, oh wait that's 5 because I have the Alexa TV remote with the Alexa dongle plus one Google home in the same house .  This doesn't include my android smart phones.

Google Home has the most info for calling phone numbers and doing things like ordering pizza. Better weather and traffic info  which is surprising because  Alexa is the product that is catching on the most. The good news is you can get Google home for a great price now. Alexa doesn't seem to know as much about the things I want to know, like my commute time in the morning. Maybe this is because I'm primarily tied into the Google browser, Google drive etc. My home automation is mostly controlled by Alexa. Alexa is great for adding shopping lists like "Alexa add bread to my shopping list". I then get that on my Alexa app in my smart phone. No wonder kids can't write any more.

I became involved in Google Home because I received color changing smart bulbs for Christmas I put in my studio. An app in my phone changes the colors. I have them on a nice purple color right now. The person who gave me the bulbs didn't know they were Google. I seen a great deal for a Google Home AND two more smart bulbs. They were almost giving the Google home away with the bulbs, so I bought it. There is an app you can get that allows the two to cross pollinate but Google keeps changing the code on it because the two companies hate one another....a developer had it working until that happened.

I don't doubt that they probably listen when they shouldn't be listening. One day that might become very important since I could yell Alexa call 911 or Hey Google, call the police.....just a thought.

On 1/3/2020 at 11:23 AM, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Upgrading from Win 7 always carries a risk, and I don't want to end up bricking something that is mission critical.

Over 3+ years is a pretty long mission, and backup drives are not that expensive.  If this is actually "mission critical" then that implies money is made with such machines and services, thus you are in a better position than most to afford to upgrade over that time.

As was pointed out by others, not doing anything also carries a risk.  

I was scared about the update as well a long time ago, (would my far more expensive I/O hardware stop working with the lack of drivers)?  So I waited until others took the plunge, I was not an early adopter in the update.  Plenty of risk staying where I was though.  

• Meh 1

12 minutes ago, TerraSin said:

Just like how you can turn it off in Windows if you know what you're doing... Just be prepared for certain things to not work properly.

Are you saying that the Facebook App is "part of Windows"?.....  I have yet to see that....