CbB Updated

cclarry

On 12/31/2019 at 5:26 AM, cclarry said:

No idea Mesh, but I would try uninstalling, and then reinstalling, the App...
Might repair something that is "broken"

I have to do this pretty much every tine there is a Bandlab Update.

• Sad 1

Hm, looks like I was a lucky guy this time... 

I installed update despite of (I know it is stupid) having very short dealine for a contest project. But nothing wrong happened and it still worked...

But I didn't used a single VSTi in this project (what is often nightmare for me if RAM is getting low CbB is crashing just like that) and had very huge buffer set (wanted to enjoy my BF AA plugins acquisition)...

Edited by Piotr
  • Like 1

I must admit I skipped 2019.11 after seeing some of the initial problems and 2019.09 had been working so well (and better than any previous version for me). 

I updated to 2019.12.26 yesterday though via Bandlab Assistant and it seems to work fine. I tried a few of my bigger projects and all OK so far 👍

The only installation anomaly was with Bandlab Assistant which decided to log me out half way through the Cakewalk update download. I logged back in and it continued from where it left off and installed the new version of Cakewalk okay.

• Thanks 1

I just updated today and it appears to be working just fine. This latest update however was the most difficult one yet for me. I'm think my local ISP is having issues with bad connects. It took 4 attempts for me get it.

It's a Free DAW in which I used to spend over $200 annually for updates.  Hey, I don't care it they have several bugs that takes them a little time to fix,  IT'S FREEEEEEEEE,  it still SPLAT,  uhhmmm CbB and which is an awesome DAW.

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 3

On 12/31/2019 at 5:14 AM, Mesh said:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but every time I try to update via the BandLab App. it never opens the app. (running as Admin). I know there's a link (in the forums) to update it manually, but it defeats the purpose of using the app. ¬¬ 

Or am I missing something else here?

I constantly have to kill the process via Task Manager to get it to start again.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:11 PM, paulo said:

Not really. My system is win 7 and Noel has already publicly stated that they don't really test for win 7 any longer. FYI I'm not complaining here, just stating that I think it might serve them better in the long run to take more time over the updates rather than having to constantly fix the fixes.

Of course they are not going to concentrate any effort on Windows 7.

As of Jan 14th 2020 Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft ... Windows 7 will receive its last updates on that date. Then watch out for many other software companies no longer deving and supporting Windows 7

Edited by aidan o driscoll

27 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

As of Jan 14th 2020 Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft ... Windows 7 will receive its last updates on that date. Then watch out for many other software companies no longer deving and supporting Windows 7

Ahh yes, allow me to just pull a Windows 10 PC out of my ***** with money I don't have, just to use software. Brilliant.

36 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

When did I say that I expected them to?

13 minutes ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Ahh yes, allow me to just pull a Windows 10 PC out of my ***** with money I don't have, just to use software. Brilliant.

Thats the way it works unfortunately. Having a version of windows on your system that is no longer officially updated might not be a great idea .. especially if on the net.

About the PRICE of 10. Its free and has been for a few years ( for owners of v7 and above ). Go here and either run the updater or download:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

BUT backup what you have first just in case ..

Edited by aidan o driscoll

13 minutes ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

You missed the months and months of advertisements noting that upgrading to Win10 for Win7 uers was free for an extended period of time?

It has been known for a long time Win7 would no longer get support and they offered Free updates for a very long time. 

Edited by Brian Walton

26 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

BUT backup what you have first just in case ..

Yes... Please backup before you proceed, just in case. Windows does have a roll back feature, but just in case, this is great advise.

18 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

You missed the months and months of advertisements noting that upgrading to Win10 for Win7 uers was free for an extended period of time?

It has been known for a long time Win7 would no longer get support and they offered Free updates for a very long time. 

Upgrading from Win 7 always carries a risk, and I don't want to end up bricking something that is mission critical.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Upgrading from Win 7 always carries a risk, and I don't want to end up bricking something that is mission critical.

Everything carries a risk, even do nothing...

Windows 10 is currently free, but it may not stay this way - so take advantage of it.
As previously said make a backup - but do a proper, the I can do a total restoration from scratch type backup.
Then upgrade your system
- if all is well, great. Now you can obsess about something else & spend your change on plugins or sample libraries or whatever.
- if your system bricks, not likely but shit happens, then use your backup to revive your now verified as obsolete hardware.  At least you'll know that the day when you have to pony up for a new system is going to be sooner than you hoped.

If  the upgrade is a success you might even find your system runs better under Windows 10, many people do.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 3:25 PM, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

And every aspect of Windows 10, sacrifices your privacy.  Spying is in every single facet of the software and attempting to "cut it off", you might as well never buy into it.   From Alexa the assistant to the browsing habits to the automatic updates evaluating what you "need" and don't need, and I've read other sites that give a better list than I can from memory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toddskins said:

And every aspect of Windows 10, sacrifices your privacy.  Spying is in every single facet of the software and attempting to "cut it off", you might as well never buy into it. 

You can turn a lot of the telemetry off in Windows 10.  There's O&Oshutup which can disable a lot of the deeper configuration items not available on the WIndows GUI.  You can even edit your Hosts file to restrict access to the sites used for telemetry.

• Like 1