American Cinematographer $9.99 yr

Matthew Sorrels

Their website/shop is kind of "difficult" but this offer seems pretty decent if you have any interest in film making

https://store.ascmag.com/product-p/sub_dig_12-issues.htm

$9.99 for a year of digital American Cinematographer
Plus you get full access to previous issues (to at least 2015, maybe more) and they can be downloaded as PDF files.

Normally I guess this is $50/year.

Their store shows two similar products (the one linked above) and another that looks the same but talks about a July 30, 2019 deadline.  I ordered the one above.  While I had some difficulty getting an account setup and working through all the password issues it definitely delivered (you might want to setup your account before you order, might go better than it did for me).  The web version is a little wonky, to get to the archives you have to click on a suitcase looking button that says "access more functionality and features" then click on archives, but that only goes back to 2015.  On this page https://theasc.com/your-account at the bottom it lists issues back to 2011 but I can't seem to read/access the PDF/digital version of anything before 2015.

Full version of Kontakt isn't required.  Crazy priced prime lens set and camera to match recommend.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, antler said:

IIRC Affinity's last two sales have been around Black Friday

Yes, they recently ran one and it also was extended due to them winning Mac App of the year for Publisher.

With the upcoming 1.8 release (likely 1st of the year) I'd be surprised if they don't at least do a 20% off sale then as well.

That being said this is software that is actually worth the full retail price and then some.  It really is the best value on the market even at the normal price.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TerraSin said:

And publisher is a dream to work in. It's completely replaced Microsoft Publisher for me. Everything they have been making is top notch. I heard they are working on a Lightroom style photo management software so I'm pretty excited for that.

It is a little unclear what the DAM application will actually be, if they do come out with it, or if it will just be an extension of the trio of apps.

I'll buy it even if it doesn't really meet the need.  I can't imagine they will release something on capture one level, and therefore it might just be something useful for seeing affinity project thumbnails which other dams don't read properly.  

My fear is they will look to match Lightroom instead of aiming higher ala Capture One.   Will be good for the average user to have another choice and perhaps get C1 to re-evaluate the pricing model.  

Both On1 and Luminar are ok, but neither feel really mature yet.  

13 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

That being said this is software that is actually worth the full retail price and then some.  It really is the best value on the market even at the normal price.  

Thanks et al for the info on Affinity!     I've got a small project this week for an event poster and tickets - will put Publisher through the paces.  I agree, $49 seems very reasonable for a fine product - reminiscent  of companies like Valhalla.