Like a 1 second Input Monitoring delay

GFive

Question

So I'm trying to hear myself because i'm using autotune but whenever I say something, it sounds more like an echo which totally throws me off beat. I have windows 10 eight core processor 8 GB Ram and its 64 bit op system. I also included photos of my settings from CW. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_4110.jpeg

IMG_4109.jpeg

IMG_4108.jpeg

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, GFive said:

So I'm trying to hear myself because i'm using autotune but whenever I say something, it sounds more like an echo which totally throws me off beat.

Focusrite interface, right?
Playback and Recording>Driver Mode; set that to ASIO. MME isn't going to cut it.
Driver Settings>Playback Timing Master and Driver Settings>Record Timing Master
Both those have to be set to your Focusrite; it should list it as ASIO Focusrite USB Analog (1) something like that.
There are some other settings to set, but that should get you started.
Report back and the community will get it sorted and you'll be making music in no time.

Tom

• Like 1

Changing to ASIO driver mode  is a good suggestion, but I would guess that you're encountering plugin delay, either due to Autotune itself or some other 'mastering' plugin in the project.  Some plugins use an internal look-ahead buffer to do processing. In some cases, such a plugin will offer a lower-quality processing mode that introduces less delay, but in general these plugins are not intended to be used in the tracking phase of a project. Hit 'E' on your PC keyboad to temporarily bypass all FX, and run the transport briefly to reset delay compensation with FX bypassed. If the delay is largely eliminated, that's the issue.

If the delay-inducing plugin isn't on the track that you're recording (or somewhere in its output path), you can bypass the delay compensation that Cakewalk automatically applies to other tracks to keep them in sync with delayed tracks by enabling the 'PDC' (override) button in the Mix module. This eliminates delay on input- monitored tracks with live input. But I'm guessing that having Autotune on the input-monitored track is the problem, so this won't be applicable.

• Like 2

Any specific plugin? What's the peak level on the Master bus, and is there space between the peaks in the preview waveform (see the button to the right of mute and solo)? How would you describe the distortion? Is like clipping, like popping/crackling, like motorboating, or just general harshness? What buffer size are you running now? If you raise it does the distortion go away?