Confused about where/how to store project audio files

Billy86

Hi. I know this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find the thread. 

I'm setting up a new computer and I want to avoid storing space-hogging project audio files on my SSD C Drive. I'm confused by  the choices in 1). preferences/file/folder location and 2). preferences/file/audio data. 

I want to keep audio data on a per project basis, but I don't see how to choose this option as indicated in some previous documentation.  And how does the Global Audio Folder figure into all this? 

How do I select to keep audio with its related project as the default, and can I do that by simply changing the path in preferences/file/folder locations to  another drive?

Thanks for any advice! 

Billy

Per-project audio folders are the default and the audio folder for a project is directly below the project file(s).

Projects may be on any drive the PC can access but it is best to have the Project Files and Global Audio Folder preferences set to an internal drive. Failing to use an internal drive can result in losing preference settings. If the Project Files and Global Audio Folder paths cannot be found on startup the program silently reverts these settings back to factory defaults.

This usually means one internal drive stores most of the available projects. The folder where these projects are stored should be the path in Project Files in preferences. When creating a project the default layout keeps all the project files in one folder like this example using a project called "My Project"

Project Files (the path defined in preferences)

Project Files\My Project (the folder created for the project)

Project Files\My Project\My Project.cwp

Project Files\My Project\Audio (the per-project audio folder)

Depending on usage there may be more files and folders in Project Files\My Project.

Copying/Moving the entire project to a new location is as simple as copying/moving the My Project folder. The "Save As" function can be used to copy a project to a new location too. This function can create the project copy using just the audio clips referenced in the project. This may result in a smaller overall project by skipping audio deleted from the project. The "Save As" function can bring all audio into the project directory structure for project make without a per-project audio folder.

There is no need to change the default Project Files setting to open a project located outside the default Project Files path, just navigate to where the project folder is located and open the project file.

The Global Audio Folder is used when working with a new project that does not have a name and it sill may be used for temporary files (I have not checked how and when temp files are created in some time). I usually create an Audio folder in the "Project Files" path defined in preferences and use it as the Global Audio Folder.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, scook said:

Per-project audio folders are the default and the audio folder for a project is directly below the project file(s).

Projects may be on any drive the PC can access but it is best to have the Project Files and Global Audio Folder preferences set to an internal drive. Failing to use an internal drive can result in losing preference settings. If the Project Files and Global Audio Folder paths cannot be found on startup the program silently reverts these settings back to factory defaults.

This usually means one internal drive stores most of the available projects. The folder where these projects are stored should be the path in Project Files in preferences. When creating a project the default layout keeps all the project files in one folder like this example using a project called "My Project"

Project Files (the path defined in preferences)

Project Files\My Project (the folder created for the project)

Project Files\My Project\My Project.cwp

Project Files\My Project\Audio (the per-project audio folder)

Depending on usage there may be more files and folders in Project Files\My Project.

Copying/Moving the entire project to a new location is as simple as copying/moving the My Project folder. The "Save As" function can be used to copy a project to a new location too. This function can create the project copy using just the audio clips referenced in the project. This may result in a smaller overall project by skipping audio deleted from the project. The "Save As" function can bring all audio into the project directory structure for project make without a per-project audio folder.

There is no need to change the default Project Files setting to open a project located outside the default Project Files path, just navigate to where the project folder is located and open the project file.

The Global Audio Folder is used when working with a new project that does not have a name and it sill may be used for temporary files (I have not checked how and when temp files are created in some time). I usually create an Audio folder in the "Project Files" path defined in preferences and use it as the Global Audio Folder.

Thank you, Scook. Exactly what I needed to know. And thanks for all the other knowledge you share on the forum... I may not ask the questions, but I find it all helpful... Have a great New Year!