Easy/quick way to step through presets on TTS-1

6 minutes ago, David Staschover said:

Is there a way to easily step through the presets on the TTS-1 in Cakewalk? I would like to be able to step through each sound and sample it without having to do the multiple clicks needed to change a preset for each sound.

Do you have a controller with a button that lets you step through program changes?

If not, you could create a midi file with a program change say at every measure and just play.

• Like 1

David , I usually go to the main TTS synth page and click the preview button at the bottom under one of the instrument channels. They will all be set on piano by default. Click on "piano" in one of them and presets will come up. Select a new preset and click the preview button again to hear it. You'll be hearing a short midi performance of each preset instead of just one note. This is probably a 2 click way of previewing.     mark

The easiest way I found to do this in TTS-1 (without a MIDI controller) is to open the EDIT button for the channel you're using (see highlighted button in first pic).

CakewalkTTS-1-a.jpg.81aac1646b37419f334b5dd301696937.jpg

This opens the edit window. Then hover your mouse pointer over the name of the preset (see highlighted area in second pic). Now scroll your mousewheel up or down to change through the list of presets.

CakewalkTTS-1-b.jpg.2be6c2523ddecda23736965871dcef24.jpg

Works best if you have a short midi loop playing continuously while you scroll through.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/29/2019 at 5:22 PM, User 905133 said:

Do you have a controller with a button that lets you step through program changes?

I have a MIDI controller, but dont know how to go through program changes ... help please :)

On 12/30/2019 at 8:14 AM, Heinz Hupfer said:

Hi:)

In the Track View click on "C"hannel and select a channel for your Midi In Keyboard.

Then you can select a"B"ank, just leave it as it is

Click on "P"rogram and now you can switch the presets with the "+" and "-" keys on the PC Keyboard!

Bassman.

Please explain more as I dont quite understand what to do. 

Where is that "C" in track view?

On 12/29/2019 at 11:22 AM, User 905133 said:

If not, you could create a midi file with a program change say at every measure and just play.

4 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

I have a MIDI controller, but dont know how to go through program changes ... help please :)

• (1) What controller? (2) Do you have a link to the controller's manual?
  • On two different controllers, I press a button that says "Program" and then use the + and - keys.
    • On a MIDI track, I can record Program Changes by going into Program mode and pressing the + and - keys,
    • Your controller might be different.
    • I then route the MIDI track to a synths (hardware or software).
    • If the synth responds to Program Changes, the patch/preset changes.
    • I can edit the Program Changes in Cakewalk's Event List.
    • I can also enter Program Changes manually in the Event List.
  • To preview sounds on a synth I can record a MIDI track and press the + button 128 times (on the beat or not) to record 128 Program Changes.
    • From there I add the TTS1 and make sure the MIDI track with the 128 Program Changes is pointed to (routed to) the TTS1.
    • So, to preview a synth's presets, I play notes  or chords on a usb keyboard / controller and let the MIDI file change the presets.
    • If necessary, I can pause the playback and then use the + / - buttons (with the controller in Program mode) to manually change the presets.
    • NOTES:
      • My controllers don't know what Cakewalk last set the Program Change to, so I usually have to start from whatever Program Chane the controller last used.
      • As I understand it, newer controllers might (and newer softsynths) might work differently, for example using an + or - index rather than specific Program Change values. That's why you should check your controller's manual. 

Hope this helps.  

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:
  • (1) What controller? (2) Do you have a link to the controller's manual?
  • On two different controllers, I press a button that says "Program" and then use the + and - keys.
    • On a MIDI track, I can record Program Changes by going into Program mode and pressing the + and - keys,
    • Your controller might be different.
    • I then route the MIDI track to a synths (hardware or software).
    • If the synth responds to Program Changes, the patch/preset changes.
    • I can edit the Program Changes in Cakewalk's Event List.
    • I can also enter Program Changes manually in the Event List.
  • To preview sounds on a synth I can record a MIDI track and press the + button 128 times (on the beat or not) to record 128 Program Changes.
    • From there I add the TTS1 and make sure the MIDI track with the 128 Program Changes is pointed to (routed to) the TTS1.
    • So, to preview a synth's presets, I play notes  or chords on a usb keyboard / controller and let the MIDI file change the presets.
    • If necessary, I can pause the playback and then use the + / - buttons (with the controller in Program mode) to manually change the presets.
    • NOTES:
      • My controllers don't know what Cakewalk last set the Program Change to, so I usually have to start from whatever Program Chane the controller last used.
      • As I understand it, newer controllers might (and newer softsynths) might work differently, for example using an + or - index rather than specific Program Change values. That's why you should check your controller's manual. 

Hope this helps.  

I have Roland Edirol PCR - m50 and sure there is manual on the internet ... but ...dear God. Sounds like lots of setting.  I didnt know that it requires so many steps. I think I will stick to the method provided earlier by @Madfish

But thanks for your time and effort :)

Im just beginning to discover all the wonders provided when one finalny gets his/her first MIDI Controller :)

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn

20 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

I have Roland Edirol PCR - m50 and sure there is manual on the internet ... but ...dear God. Sounds like lots of setting.  I didnt know that it requires so many steps. I think I will stick to the method provided earlier by @Madfish

But thanks for your time and effort :)

Im jus begining to discover all the wonders provided when one finalny gets his/her first MIDI Controller :)

Not a lot of settings/steps. It is 2 buttons on my controller.  (1) Program (2) +.  Super simple.  I explained a lot because it is so simple, I figured you needed all the steps. But it might be that you have no experience using MIDI. Or maybe you just like going through menus with a mouse.  If so, that's a matter of preference, not complexity.  Some people prefer buttons, knobs, sliders, keys, pedals, etc. Other people prefer moving a mouse around.  

Not sure about the controller you have.

UPDATE: I looked at the image of the Roland Edirol PCR - M50.  There's a Program Change Button, a DEC Button, and an INC Button.  I would be very surprised if those do not send midi data to CbB, but I have no experience with that controller.

Edited by User 905133

35 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

But it might be that you have no experience using MIDI

Indeed. These are my firs steps. I know already how to connect  it and make it trigger midi in CbB, and even asigned some knobs in CbB to my controller knobs, but I know that there is much much  more that one can do with MIDI controller and I will learn more in next months :D

Or maybe you just like going through menus with a mouse.

No Sir, not at all ;) Using MIDI controller sounds like more fun :D

UPDATE: I looked at the image of the Roland Edirol PCR - M50.  There's a Program Change Button, a DEC Button, and an INC Button.  I would be very surprised if those do not send midi data to CbB, but I have no experience with that controller.

Sure I can send MIDI data. I can assign knobs and sliders ect to control knobs and sliders inside CbB, but I also wanted to browse these rich library of presets in TTS1 more effectively than using mouse. Sorry, but I still have no idea how to assign buttons on my MIDI for this purpose... I guess I will have to dive deeper into manual of my MIDI controller. Or maybe find some tutorial on YT

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn

33 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Sorry but this does not help me. I have no idea on how to use it to quickly browse through presets on TTS-1

OH.  Maybe you want to quickly browse through the preset lists. I get it now.  I thought you wanted to go through and quickly listen to each of the presets themselves.

35 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Sure I can send MIDI data. I can assign knobs and sliders ect to control knobs and sliders inside CbB, but I also wanted to browse these rich library of presets in TTS1 more effectively than using mouse. Sorry, but I still have no idea how to assign buttons on my MIDI for this purpose... I guess I will have to dive deeper into manual of my MIDI controller.

But this ^^^ makes me think you are talking about quickly listening to TTS-1's presets.  

Maybe you need just a little bit on understanding about how MIDI works. You shouldn't need to assign buttons on your controller or assign anything special in CbB.

17 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

. . . with + and - key on my PC keyboard - these are assigned to a certain keyboard shortcuts. 

This makes me think you are using the + and - buttons on your controller as a Control Surface. 

On my controllers, when I push the Program button, the controllers go into a mode where pressing the + and - on the controller, MIDI Patch Change commands get set out to CbB.

Maybe you have your controller and CbB setup differently. 

If you want to test to see if my method works, you could record a midi track and press the Program button, followed by several presses of the + button.  On my PC, the track will have little Preset markers on the midi track.

p1       p2         p3     p 4   

I just tried to find the manual for your controller and I see that the controller has Control Surface Templates.  Maybe those change how the + and - buttons work.  So maybe they don't work the same way my controllers work.  

Just found the manual. See pages 50-51.

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 8:14 AM, Heinz Hupfer said:

Hi:)

In the Track View click on "C"hannel and select a channel for your Midi In Keyboard.

Then you can select a"B"ank, just leave it as it is

Click on "P"rogram and now you can switch the presets with the "+" and "-" keys on the PC Keyboard!

Bassman.

Ok, I got it now. Its in the ProChannel strip but under the MIDI tab (located at the bottom of the strip). So I managed to get to the step "B" but I can't  switch presets with + and - key on my PC keyboard - these are assigned to a certain keyboard shortcuts. So I have to open the menu and choose from a list. Is there still better option? 

10 hours ago, User 905133 said:

OH.  Maybe you want to quickly browse through the preset lists. I get it now.  I thought you wanted to go through and quickly listen to each of the presets themselves.

But this ^^^ makes me think you are talking about quickly listening to TTS-1's presets.  

Maybe you need just a little bit on understanding about how MIDI works. You shouldn't need to assign buttons on your controller or assign anything special in CbB.

This makes me think you are using the + and - buttons on your controller as a Control Surface. 

On my controllers, when I push the Program button, the controllers go into a mode where pressing the + and - on the controller, MIDI Patch Change commands get set out to CbB.

Maybe you have your controller and CbB setup differently. 

If you want to test to see if my method works, you could record a midi track and press the Program button, followed by several presses of the + button.  On my PC, the track will have little Preset markers on the midi track.

p1       p2         p3     p 4   

I just tried to find the manual for your controller and I see that the controller has Control Surface Templates.  Maybe those change how the + and - buttons work.  So maybe they don't work the same way my controllers work.  

Just found the manual. See pages 50-51.

Thank you for your comment. I see that I really need to dig into the manual and learn it all.  Luckily the winter is coming and I plan to spend it on having fun with my new MIDI controller :D