G Minor Swing Blues ! A 2 for 1 (Song and video )

kennywtelejazz

Hi All ,

A 2 for 1

The Sound Cloud audio file was done one day ago for my week 228 Twanger Central submission .... on that take I'm playing my Vintage Modified Jaguar

On the u tube video I'm playing my R 8 historic  Les Paul pretty much clean . All  guitar parts was done in one take with  no overdubs for both files .

The u tube video  I shot tonight a few hours ago on an impulse ...

I hope someone enjoys the playing ,

Kenny

• Like 6

Kenny
Even more impressive than listening is watching you play the guitar. Amazing. Yeah, I enjoyed it.

As a somewhat beginner on the guitar, I had my guitarist scale book opened on the Gm (pentatonic?) page to see if you were playing that pattern, but you were going too fast.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Kenny
Even more impressive than listening is watching you play the guitar. Amazing. Yeah, I enjoyed it.

Hi Bjorn ,

For some Odd reason the desire to make a video snuck up on me  out of the Blue with out any warning .

I'm real glad you liked my guitar playing  on this tune . :)

9 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

As a somewhat beginner on the guitar, I had my guitarist scale book opened on the Gm (pentatonic?) page to see if you were playing that pattern, but you were going too fast.

I have no idea what I'm gonna play until I play it.

What that means is If I want to play what I played in the video , I have to sit here and learn what I Played just to be able to play along w my own video ...

Oh BTW , Good Luck on finding some of my melodic  and harmonic content  in that BOOK 🤣

thank you for the kindness of your comments .

all the best,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

On 12/29/2019 at 11:08 AM, mark skinner said:

Hey , I really enjoyed both versions , I don't own one but I'm a big fan of a Jag , you had the tone dialed in great for this one .  It was even better actually seeing you play instead of just trying to imagine it.   Very nice ..   mark

Hi Mark ,

The Jaguar is a very surprising Guitar ..If I had known what I know about them today and sent that information back in time to who I was when I first started playing the guitar , who knows ?  my screen name here might have turned out too be Kenny W Jaguar Jazz 🤣

I'm happy  I decided  to post  both version s of this song here on the forum . They both have their moments  and  I thank you for taking the time to listen to them both .

On 12/29/2019 at 12:14 PM, garybrun said:

Very nice Kenny

Thank You garybrun !

19 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

As always a big "Well Done!" my man.
That R8 looks like a very sweet ride indeed.
Rock On! or jazz on as it were/are...

T

Hi Tom!

Thank you for the kind word :)

Yes my R 8 is a very Sweet Ride ... I am so Lucky to have her .

thank you for giving my music a listen .

all the best ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

On 12/30/2019 at 10:20 AM, Jimmy said:

Kenny, you are a brilliant musician. I am an amateur who will learn watching the greats play (if I can get it one day 😅)

Congratulations...

Hi Jimmy ,

Thank you for the kind words you have said .

I have felt exactly how you just  expressed . One thought that helps me with that issue  is If one can keep the focus on the music , nobody can take that away from anyone not matter how they play .

thanks .

On 12/30/2019 at 12:18 PM, Douglas Kirby said:

I think you prove in this video that the Les Paul does jazz quite well - excellent guitar playing there.

Happy New Year.

Hi Douglas ,

Yes,  that Les Paul is one of the  the best guitars I have ever owned . It truly was a gift . I'm glad you enjoyed my playing on it .

Happy New Year

On 12/30/2019 at 3:01 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Wow!

Holy Cheezits, in the vid, that little thang starting around 2:13 was feckin' perfect.  Really really cool! Great playing and the vid is legit.

thanks for sharing that . . .

where did you cut your jazz teeth at?

-Tom

Hi Tom ,

I loved your post , after reading it I felt just like Chester Cheetah must of felt on the same day he  finally gotten a hold of  his own box of Cheezits .

Yeah at 2:13  I was winging it  ,   I'm doing an octave displacement type of melodic trip through out the chord changes  . 

There is a strong possibility   I may decide to  come out with a few short instruction videos teaching folks how to play some of what I'm playing in this video  ...

Where did I cut my teeth ?

Oh Lawd lol , it all started when I went to take my first guitar lesson and the teacher asked me what I wanted to learn .

I told him I wanted to learn how to play Secret Agent Man and he said NOPE ..he hit me with Mickey Baker and a whole bunch of SAX and woodwind books ...

Keeping the long story short. Over time I wound up going from him to Joe Puma , Arnie Berle , Barry Galbraith , Tony De Caprio , and a few others along the way .

Times were different back then because there were a lot of Clubs that would host Jam Sessions ..I had the good fortune of becoming friends with Ed Cherry .

Ed was the guitar player  in The  Dizzy Gillespie Band and various other projects . I lived right across the street from Ed and he had me over just about every day to play and practice w him ( he was way better than me and often times I would just read a chart and play the chord changes )

Ed also brought me around to all the hip Jam Sessions in Harlem  and introduced me as a player to all the players ...

Around that time I was also friends with Joe Pass and Emily Remler ...

Joe used to love messing w me . He would hand me his guitar bat his eyes and say play like me ..lol

I used to get a real kick out of how long Joe would last before he would yank the guitar out of my hands and then give me a free guitar lesson ..

Behind the scenes Joe was a real cool fun guy and he liked to joke around ...One time we were backstage at Fat Tuesdays NYC and his time to play was almost on.

Joe told me he didn't feel good that night and he asked me to go out in his place to perform the concert for him  . I thought he was joking and I told him I was to young to die .Then he scared the cwap out of me . He  got super serious and for the next 15 mins as he hammered me non stop  to do his show. After he had enough of my fear ridden scrambled brain ramblings and physical  sweating and  squirming  he laughed out loud at me while he lit his cigar and told me he was just kidding ...

Emily was a whole other story . We used to get together when she was in town and play together .

There is so much I could say but for now all will leave it at this.  To this day I think of her often and I miss her so much ...

Well  there you go Tom , look what happens , you throw me a box of Cheezits and now I can't shut up ...

Oh before I forget ... one of these days I will still have to learn how to play Secret Agent Man ...i had gotten  sidetracked  ...

nice rapping w you

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2019 at 6:53 PM, mcmd said:

Very tasty chops ......great tone......totally enjoyed this.....

Thank you for giving my playing a listen . I'm happy you enjoyed the clips .

On 12/31/2019 at 7:51 AM, geeare1 said:

Great tone and great playing! Loved both versions.

I like your playing and tone too .  thanks for giving mine a listen .

On 12/31/2019 at 2:17 PM, freddy j said:

Simply excellent!!!

Hi Freddy ! Wow thanks for saying the super kind word ..

On 1/2/2020 at 5:19 AM, Wookiee said:

@kennywtelejazz Sweet my friend sweet, that beard is coming on nicely to you face is nearly as furry as mine. ;) :) 

Hi Wookiee ,

My pooch likes rubbing his mug in my beard ...lol

I'm glad you liked the music .

thank you for the listen .

Kenny

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 3:08 AM, kloon said:

Love the flow, you are very talanted!

Nice beard as well, been growing mine out since end of august last year so its not quite a impressive as yours yet but pretty majestic.  :)

Hi kloon !

I'm glad you like the flow  of my guitar playing . I just let the lines and melodic phrases go where ever they seem to want to go .

Yeah , beards are fun . Hey Good luck w your beard .

21 hours ago, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi Kenny,

Absolutely great playing and lovely to see you doing it as well.

Thanks for sharing this real treat.

Good Job!

regards

paul

Hi Paul !

Thank you for the kind words you said about my playing .

It blows my head that I can be practicing the guitar for a while  away from recording and then when I get a hankering  to do a video  all the stuff I have been practicing on the guitar starts dancing around the fret board in total freedom  along w the Music .

I'm sure glad I did share this  clip of my playing  ...

17 hours ago, amiller said:

What’s not to like.  Coooool vibe, great playing.😊👍

Hi amiller !

What's not to like ? somebody told me I should smile more ...he he he ...I'm pretty much all about the playing & music so at least I got that part right .

thank you all,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1