FREE Mastering eBook and Plugin Bundle

cclarry

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

I received no warnings from Bitdefender when installing...everything was fine.

Unfortunately just 1 antivir  is not enough for me. :( Virustotal is using 70+ different engines (including bitdefender)...

But how can I be sure that in this case Bitdefender  result is better than those detecting threat?  Even if anything is not detected by any scanner there is always a little risk (hacker often break security silently just to replace infected binaries to build their bot nets)

I am using very limited trust policy for everything from new sources... When PA had threat detected in their plugin manager (which of course turned out to be false positive)I sent email to support wasting till they do something before started to use it again with trust. Call me insane about trust to downloads ;)

Edited by Piotr
  • Great Idea 1

Well, if it's any conosolation, I installed, and used, all the plugins, and nothing happened...

Sometimes it's "overkill" having more than "one".  Bitdefender has never failed me, and I've
used it for years.  All of the others HAVE failed me, that's why I've never looked back...

25 minutes ago, Piotr said:

Unfortunately just 1 antivir  is not enough for me. :( Virustotal is using 70+ different engines (including bitdefender)...

That's really over the top since there are only a few really good detection engines out there that give accurate results. I'd be amazed if you can download anything most of the time because some give so many false positives or flat out miss things.

• Like 1

These plugins are  very similar in design to plugins by SoundSpot, and I read that some users had issues with SoundSpot's plugins (antivirus  warnings, or these plugins were  blocked or unrecognized in the some daws).   I think there 's some connection here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerraSin said:

That's really over the top since there are only a few really good detection engines out there that give accurate results. I'd be amazed if you can download anything most of the time because some give so many false positives or flat out miss things.

Possibly. However using just 1 engine in case new source is not putting me in comfort zone so I prefer to skip freeware which give me any doubts or uncertainty. Even very small.

Any manufacturer will grant you it is 100% false positive. Like fb will tell you your data there are safe and inaccessible for anyone. ;) It is just about trust to new source and need to get something. If I had no alternative I would get more risk. Having alternative I can do insanity decisions from somebody's point of view ;)

Anyway I just put friendly warning. Nothing more nothing less.

Everyone is making his own decision about risk evaluation and trust.  Let's say it is overkill in 999/1000 cases.  Is it that 0.1% worth of risk or not depends on person's choice.

4 hours ago, cclarry said:

Sometimes it's "overkill" having more than "one"

You are absolutely right :)  Any additional background process is increasing latency and eating cpu and other resources , what's more they are often fight one against the other (finding threat in DB of the other)

This is why I am using online multi engine scanners, where I can upload file to be checked  and verify. I am doing it every time so it was not any special action for me in this case.  Just published my results as friendly warning. No intention to influence anybody who is full aware about risks, threats, how it works, and is confident what is enough for him,  etc...

Kind of general reflection that using freeware (not only music related) is just sometimes good to connect with additionally checks and additional opportunity to think again how much we need something not just because it is free.  ;)

Just an anecdotal data point: more than half of the plug-ins on my system are, like Cakewalk itself, freeware licensed. I watch KVR and when I see one that interests me I download it and try it, from any developer that offers them. I admit, I'm a free plug-in 'ho.

I run no antivirus or antimalware software except for Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on an ad hoc basis. Defender and Malwarebytes have never flagged any of my plug-in downloads and I have never gotten a virus or trojan or any kind of malware from a plug-in, freeware or otherwise.

It takes trouble, work, and skill to code malware into a software installer, and in the grand scheme of software, the market for freeware VST's is tiny. A black hat would probably choose a larger market to distribute their payload. And for a company to go to the trouble to create a marketing campaign such as this just so they could install some kind of trojan on our computers, or alternately, that they would go to all this trouble and then create an installer that accidentally contained malware, is, by my thinking, unlikely. What would be their gain? Ruining their reputation in the audio community for what? Companies don't need to install software to harvest our data any more, we give it up willingly.

In my experience as an IT professional and as the son of a mother in her 80's who has a bunch of friends whose email addresses end in @aol.com, trojans and malware appear on people's systems not from downloading software (that ended somewhere around 1995) but from opening email attachments. Switching mom to GMail (which she loves) took care of that issue.

All of which is certainly not to dissuade anyone from taking steps that keep them feeling safe, rather I seek to reassure that our computing world may not be as fraught with danger as the purveyors of anti-malware software may advertise. Antimalware solutions and common sense together are what work best for me.

I see these warnings from time to time in this subforum. Have any of them ever turned out to be real trojans or virii or have they wound up being false positives that the antimalware companies eventually acknowledged?