up sampling

martsave martin s

Upsampling runs the plugin at 2x the current sample rate in Cakewalk.
The result really depends on how the plugin is coded but there are cases where upsampling changes the sound because it gets rid of aliasing artifacts introduced by the plugin DSP at lower sample rates. It works both ways - sometimes the "artifacts" may sound better to you since the sound designer may have tailored the presets at 44.1K. So use your ears and enable upsampling where it improves the sound to you.

This feature came about when @Craig Anderton was playing around with amp sims and found that they sounded very different at different sample rates. So we built this feature to allow users to easily run plugins at higher sample rates without unnecessarily running the entire project at high rates.

4 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This feature came about when @Craig Anderton was playing around with amp sims and found that they sounded very different at different sample rates. So we built this feature to allow users to easily run plugins at higher sample rates without unnecessarily running the entire project at high rates.

It can also make a huge difference with synthesizers. Here's an explanation of how it works.

I also think you'll find the audio example in this video VERY revealing!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I had a question that was related. I was going to add 2x oversampling to Melodyne. Since it is in an ARA window, it does not have the oversampling option. If I read the docs on oversampling correctly - if I add a VST copy of Melodyne in the project, then all the Melodynes in that project would use up sampling? Would this apply to since this is an ARA / VTS  and not a VST / VST?

Edited by Max Arwood
ARA not ARIA